What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Open in..." options

Kmarshall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that I have numerous apps that will open all different types of documents on my iPad2, I noticed that the Open in... options will only display 10 apps. But I haven't found a way to control which apps I want to display in the Open in... options. So my question is... how can I control which apps are displayed when I want to open different documents?

Thanks,
Karen

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no way to control this. When you install an app, that app can register its ability to process a certain file type with the iPad's operating system, iOS. Then, when you get that 'Open in' option, iOS uses the apps that have registered their ability. Unfortunately, iOS does not provide the user with the ability to control this list - other than by uninstalling the apps that can process a file type.

Tim

OP
K

Kmarshall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no way to control this. When you install an app, that app can register its ability to process a certain file type with the iPad's operating system, iOS. Then, when you get that 'Open in' option, iOS uses the apps that have registered their ability. Unfortunately, iOS does not provide the user with the ability to control this list - other than by uninstalling the apps that can process a file type.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Didn't realize you were the one that answered my question here also. (After I went on and on about the Open in...options from my other post!) I did call apple and left my request for "the right to choose!" (LOL) on their feedback page. I'm in the process of doing training and I purchase a lot of apps just to try them out. I end up with many that sort of do the same thing. And when you're trying to find that "perfect" app - it just would be nice to be able to select without having to delete some of the apps first. Thanks for getting back to me though!

Karen

Most reactions

Latest posts