What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only slightly faster than ipad 4?

Zergslayer69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now, I know the keynote said 2x faster but they weren't really specific on that. Going by the 3dmark scores, the physics (which would be cpu primarily) frame rates are lower than the ipad 4 numbers. And for the overall unlimited scores, it's maybe 3k higher or so, so that's not a huge increase. Was definitely hoping for some form of overclocked processor in the ipad version.

wildsdi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Being 64 bit, wouldn't it be twice as fast with same clock speeds? Also when will the optimized apps start appearing.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest you wait and see real results. If apple stated twice the performance it is due to rigorous testing... I am positive you will have actual comparisons shortly

OP
Z

Zergslayer69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, I don't think I was too clear in my first post, I was comparing the iphone 5s scores with the ipad 4 scores since supposedly the ipad air is using the same a7 chip. Whether or not it was clocked higher behind the scenes is anybody's guess. I do very much hope that it is though, along with the hopeful and rumored 2gb of ram.

Cold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we won't see much better speeds until software that is specifically written for 64 bit processor surfaces.

slimbabe.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The sooner the better along with a polishing of 7.0.3 . We can use 7.0.4 ASAP.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Speed reports available on line from legitimate sources show speed twice as fast as the 4th generation iPad. In my initial tests one to one same apps I confirmed a major increase. This is using standard current apps like Safari, yes this may have been optimise but with out question it is smooth and super fast.....one test that blew me away was maps using fly over on say London awesome response compared to iPad retina.

OP
Z

Zergslayer69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can also confirm games run noticeably smoother on the air, riptide 2 may still have hiccups here and there, but overall the framerates are much higher than the ipad 4. I also have gridlee which is an official app that was actually a mame emulator underneath. Games that used to run at half the framerates are now around 80% or better. Can't wait for that jailbreak to check out ppsspp!

Most reactions

Latest posts