What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On this day in history.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
31,464
Reaction score
13,177
Location
Regina,Canada
On this date in 1945 at 8:16 am the B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb over the city of Hiroshima,Japan. The first use of nuclear weapons in combat.
 

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
31,464
Reaction score
13,177
Location
Regina,Canada
On this date in 1926,Gertrude Ederle became the first woman to swim across the English channel.
 

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
31,464
Reaction score
13,177
Location
Regina,Canada
On this date in 1890 in Auburn Prison,New York the first person was executed by electricity in the first use of the Electric Chair.
 
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Aug 6, 2011
Messages
10,665
Reaction score
1,470
Location
Edmonton AB Canada
scifan57 said:
On this date in 1890 in Auburn Prison,New York the first person was executed by electricity in the first use of the Electric Chair.

I have a book called "The executioner's current". It details how the electric chair came into being. The use of electricity to deliberately kill a human being was engineered by Edison and Westinghouse in order to prove that one technology was safer than the other. Edison favored DC, while Westinghouse pioneered AC. The first electric chair used direct current, much to Edison's annoyance. The execution was bungled, and it took two attempts to kill William Kemmler.
 

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
9,554
Reaction score
627
Location
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
KevinJS said:
I have a book called "The executioner's current". It details how the electric chair came into being. The use of electricity to deliberately kill a human being was engineered by Edison and Westinghouse in order to prove that one technology was safer than the other. Edison favored DC, while Westinghouse pioneered AC. The first electric chair used direct current, much to Edison's annoyance. The execution was bungled, and it took two attempts to kill William Kemmler.

Thankfully there's Utah.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
 

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
31,464
Reaction score
13,177
Location
Regina,Canada
KevinJS said:
I have a book called "The executioner's current". It details how the electric chair came into being. The use of electricity to deliberately kill a human being was engineered by Edison and Westinghouse in order to prove that one technology was safer than the other. Edison favored DC, while Westinghouse pioneered AC. The first electric chair used direct current, much to Edison's annoyance. The execution was bungled, and it took two attempts to kill William Kemmler.

So much for it being painless.
 

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
9,554
Reaction score
627
Location
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
August 6, 1932, Welland Ontario, Canada, saw the opening of the Welland Ship Canal.

42 km in length, the canal and its system of massive locks, enables ships to ascend and descend the Niagara Escarpment and to bypass Niagara Falls to transit the entire Great Lakes system.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
 
Joined
Jun 22, 2012
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
20
April 14, 1865- Abraham lincoln is assassinated by John Wilkes booth
April 15, 1865- Abraham Lincoln dies at 7:22 a.m.
 
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Aug 6, 2011
Messages
10,665
Reaction score
1,470
Location
Edmonton AB Canada
Good one, Amy. When you have a few minutes to spare you might want to take a look at the lives and deaths of Lincoln and Kennedy. There are some startling parallels. You may even be able to teach your teachers a thing or two.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
 
Joined
Jun 22, 2012
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
20
KevinJS said:
Good one, Amy. When you have a few minutes to spare you might want to take a look at the lives and deaths of Lincoln and Kennedy. There are some startling parallels. You may even be able to teach your teachers a thing or two.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Thanks, and I will check some information about Kennedy and Lincoln out.
 
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Aug 6, 2011
Messages
10,665
Reaction score
1,470
Location
Edmonton AB Canada
Amy Rose The Hedgehog said:
April 14, 1865- Abraham lincoln is assassinated by John Wilkes booth
April 15, 1865- Abraham Lincoln dies at 7:22 a.m.

Only trouble is, unless I've been asleep for a VERY long time, it's August, not April! Testing us out, Amy? Wanted to see if we were awake? You caught me for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
 

Most reactions

Top