What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On this day in history.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
"The day of the jackal" is one of my all-time favourite films. Thanks for filling in some extra info. on this very talented director.
Andrew

Just looked at Johanna's link - a lot of excellent films - I own the ones below on DVD/BD or DVD-R (from the TCM channel, i.e. The Seventh Cross & The Sundowners) - Dave :)

The Seventh Cross (1944)
High Noon (1952)
From Here to Eternity (1953)
The Nun’s Story (1959)
The Sundowners (1960)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
May 4th:
image.jpeg

Star Wars Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting how on Star Wars Day, a date to celebrate the George Lucas films, that Spock, a Star Trek character is in the pic (of course, 'May the force be w/ you' fits nicely) - SO, just googling some pics for similar mixing of characters and found the one below - :) Dave
Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 11.56.45 AM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting how on Star Wars Day, a date to celebrate the George Lucas films, that Spock, a Star Trek character is in the pic (of course, 'May the force be w/ you' fits nicely) - SO, just googling some pics for similar mixing of characters and found the one below - :) Dave
View attachment 71508

Well, if you know Chewbacian you'd know that Chewy is always saying "Live Long and Prosper". Maybe Star Wars is the same galaxy, just long long ago.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Napoleon - Cinco de Mayo - Cy Young - Alan Shepard, Jr.

Just a selection of events for today from the Day in History website (see short quotes & pics below). Napoleon dies in exile in 1821 at age 51 on the remote south Atlantic island of Saint Helena. Cinco de Mayo - a national holiday in Mexico celebrating the Mexican victory at the Battle of Puebla in 1862 during the French-Mexican War.

Cy Young of baseball pitching fame (see plaque - perfect game in 1904) - the eponymous award for the 'best pitcher' in each American baseball league was established in 1956 (a year after his death); for those interested, the multiple winners are shown below - this is like winning multiple majors in golf. Finally, Alan Shepard, Jr., the first American in space in 1961. Dave :)

Napoleon Bonaparte, the former French ruler who once ruled an empire that stretched across Europe, dies as a British prisoner on the remote island of Saint Helena in the southern Atlantic Ocean.

Cinco de Mayo - during the French-Mexican War, a poorly supplied and outnumbered Mexican army under General Ignacio Zaragoza defeats a French army attempting to capture Puebla de Los Angeles, a small town in east-central Mexico. Victory at the Battle of Puebla represented a great moral victory for the Mexican government, symbolizing the country’s ability to defend its sovereignty against threat by a powerful foreign nation.

On May 5, 1904, Boston Red Sox pitcher Cy Young throws a perfect game against the Detroit Tigers, who had fellow future Hall of Fame pitcher Rube Waddell on the mound. This was the first perfect game of the modern era; the last had been thrown by John Montgomery Ward in 1880. It was the second of three no-hitters that Young would throw, and the only perfect game.

From Cape Canaveral, Florida, Navy Commander Alan Bartlett Shepard Jr. is launched into space aboard the Freedom 7 space capsule, becoming the first American astronaut to travel into space. The suborbital flight, which lasted 15 minutes and reached a height of 116 miles into the atmosphere, was a major triumph for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
Napoleon.png
CincodeMayo.png
CyYoungPlaque.png
Shepard_Alan_Bartlett_Jr.jpg
CyYoungAwardWinners.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Napoleon - Cinco de Mayo - Cy Young - Alan Shepard, Jr.

Just a selection of events for today from the Day in History website (see short quotes & pics below). Napoleon dies in exile at age 51 on the remote south Atlantic island of Saint Helena. Cinco de Mayo - a national holiday in Mexico celebrating the Mexican victory at the Battle of Puebla during the French-Mexican War.

Cy Young of baseball pitching fame (see plaque) - the eponymous award for the 'best pitcher' in each American baseball league was established in 1956 (a year after his death); for those interested, the multiple winners are shown below - this is like winning multiple majors in golf. Finally, Alan Shepard, Jr., the first American in space. Dave :)

View attachment 71518 View attachment 71519 View attachment 71520 View attachment 71521 View attachment 71522
For an excellent movie about the early days of the American space program I reccommend "The Right Stuff".

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For an excellent movie about the early days of the American space program I reccomment "The Right Stuff".

Agree - great film! Last year I replaced my old DVD w/ the 2-BD package shown below - the restoration, especially the sound is fantastic - if anyone is thinking of buying the movie, then the BD is highly recommended; the blu-ray ratings also shown from HERE. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 1.01.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 1.00.33 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree - great film! Last year I replaced my old DVD w/ the 2-BD package shown below - the restoration, especially the sound is fantastic - if anyone is thinking of buying the movie, then the BD is highly recommended; the blu-ray ratings also shown from HERE. Dave :)
View attachment 71524 View attachment 71525
I first saw the movie in a large screen movie theatre when it was first released. The multiplex hadn't yet made much of an impact. The special effects on a 50 foot screen are truly spectacular.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I first saw the movie in a large screen movie theatre when it was first released. The multiplex hadn't yet made much of an impact. The special effects on a 50 foot screen are truly spectacular.

Same for me - first saw the film in the theater but cannot remember the size of the screen or the sound system used then? But on my 42" HDTV & decent soundbar/subwoofer, the BD version is still quite an experience! :)

Looking at the pic of Shepard (reposted below w/ an arrow), I was wondering about his Naval ranks - he was a Commander in 1961 (equivalent to a Lt. Colonel in the Army) - made his moon walk in February 1971 (5th man to walk on the moon), and the the first to hit a couple of golf balls - ;) Later in '71, he was promoted to a Rear Admiral, indicated by the single star. Dave
Shepard_Alan_Bartlett_Jr.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 3.11.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 3.13.54 PM.png

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of people would have no trouble at all in celebrating International No Diet Day.;)
Sure. I celebrate it every day. ;)

There's a serious reason for this day, though. I think that not that many people are aware of the negative effects of some diets, e.g.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts