What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Office2HD not working, will Openoffice do the job?

deepakvrao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Office2HD not working, will Openoffice do *this* job?

or any other suggestions?

With Office2HD, I am having 2 major issues.

2 issues.

1. Date formatting of cells is not working at all.
2. I have multiple sheets in an excel file and I enter name [for example] in a cell on the first sheet. I have a formula like =Bill!C1, where Bill is name of first sheet, and C1 is the cell in it. Then the name should appear in all the other sheets in the cells which have the formula. Not working, and since this is for much more than just name, I can't open each page and type in details.'

Any idea whether Openoffice would work these things?

edit: It also loses margin formatting so printing makes the text overlap my letterhead

Last edited:

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure if I understood your question.

Open Office is not yet available for iPad.

Regarding Office 2 HD, it has lots of compatibility issues with desktop Micorosft Office version.

Formatting gets screwed big time if you try to work on same document between Office 2 and desktop office.

Still now no Office apps in iPad offers seamless compatibility with desktop Office apps.

OP
D

deepakvrao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant Quickoffice. Undecided between trying Quick office or Docs to go. Need the following:

1. Ability to work offline
2. Upload to Dropbox
3. Retain formatting

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As mentioned already, none of current iPad office apps maintain seamless compatibility with desktop Office apps.

Vichon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I'm unclear on the precise details of your issues, I tested a brief sheet to simulate your general issues:

Sheet1 - Mix of text, numbers, and dates arrayed in columns representing formatting in various styles (Short date, long date, mixed various text forms, etc).
I then created a second tabbed sheet and cross linked cells from it to reference those in the first. This was using Excel 2007 and Dropbox.

I opened tit first in QuickOffice Pro HD - the formatting and linking came over identical to the original, as did the second linked sheets. I added a new cell, again a date and applied formatting (I found it was fairly limited compared to Excel in offered formats, but it worked). Transferred it back and excel opened it without loss and was able to edit it and see the formatting changes I applied in QuickOffice.

I then attempted to open it in Docs to Go Pro - it downloaded it but refused to open it. It turns out the save format from QuickOffice is not compatible with Docs to go, although Excel had no issue. The *fix* is I opened it in Excel and forced it to resave it - then Docs to go opened it without issues. It could see the original formatting, the items I added in QuickOffice and could modify the doc. I again added some items and found Docs To Go had a more limited selection of formats than either Excel of QuickOffice, but was able to format a simple Data field and transfer it back.

Again, Excel opened it, and see all the formats and didn't seem to lose anything.

So, again, it may be the sheets you are moving are too complex (I have found both products have issues on larger and more complex documents), or perhaps you could give more details as to what you are doing and where the formats are being lost as I can't seem to duplicate it, regardless of tools.

Update - I see you did go for QuickOffice after all. I was considering trying Office HD and appreciate your pointing out what would have been a real issue for me too!

Last edited:

Most reactions