What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd Sound Issues

Croths

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I did the big update two days ago and all went fine, like it. The only thing I really did was put all my apps into files. I was using my iPad last night at first it was ok but then picked it up again an hour or so later to play a game and there was no sound. Checked the game settings and that was ok, tried other games and they too had no sound. Played iPod and I can hear my music, tried some online videos and I can hear them ok too. Checked my mail and there is no sound in Mail, no ta da as the mail arrives. Also as I type now there is no sound, no tap tap. I did a search and checked the orientation button, that is fine. How come sound works in some places and not others? I'm not too Techy, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CupcakeKiller702

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You probably experienced the same thing I did, the rotation lock slide switch on the side of your iPad is NOW a mute button. I didn't know the update changed it. Is this what you did? Slide the mute switch on the side the other way and see if that does it.

Rhubarb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Mute button" did not resolve it...

I had exactly the same problem with loss of sound. There is no volume bar either so it must be a software issue?

It works with headphones, but not without.

The button is still orientation and not mute, but I have no audio.

Sometimes the volume bar comes back when I plug it in to charge, then disappears.

I really don't want to send it to Apple. Help!

Norms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You probably experienced the same thing I did, the rotation lock slide switch on the side of your iPad is NOW a mute button. I didn't know the update changed it. Is this what you did? Slide the mute switch on the side the other way and see if that does it.

Yay! That worked! Thanks so much! One question though, no more rotation lock??

skruger

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This is didn't work for me :(

I'm having the same issues as the first poster....works in some places, not in others. I am trying to retrieve my voicemail online, it worked for 1 day on my ipad, and now I get the symbol below.

Does anyone know what its connected to? Looks like a mute symbol..?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AkainePSP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We had the same problem with my sons ipad. Sound would work for apps but not games and he didn't even have the clicking noise when you slide the unlock. I tried unlocking the mute button and all of the other things suggested. Finally we got it to work again by going into settings>reset>reset all settings . Everything is now as it should be.

Last edited:

Terry F

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem...
My switch was set to rotate lock, when I changed it back to a mute button in settings all my sound started working again... !!!!
Try it...

mrmbeach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fixed my problem. Make sure button on side of iPad 2 is not set to red. Then go to sounds under settings and make sure they are all set to on.

eminatecolb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issue. WE had to go into settings (just like one of the other users) and change the lock button to a mute button instead. We just clicked on Mute and the "lock" check mark went away. The apps finally started working again.

Most reactions

Latest posts