What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd iPad Air connector

deemac375

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just purchased via eBay an iPad Air 2.
It seems ok but, to my confusion has a 30 pin charging port.
My other iPad Air 2, purchased. about 3 years ago has the USB mini port.
Why the change. I understand the 30pin port can also transfer data, but the spec on eBay did not mention that the model was a special one. Or are they ALL like that.
It seems a retrograde spec to increase the damage potential of a known weak spot in charging ports. I have circular magnetic adaptors on all my mobile devices and am happy with that more reliable method.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

If your iPad has a 30-pin connector, it’s not an iPad Air. The last iPad that had that connector, was the iPad 3. The 30-pin connector has not been used afterwards.
Which software is installed on it? The iPad 3 can be updated to iOS 9.3.5 or 9.3.6.

The iPad Air 2 has a lightning connector, btw., and the latest devices have a USB-C port.

OP
D

deemac375

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

If your iPad has a 30-pin connector, it’s not an iPad Air. The last iPad that had that connector, was the iPad 3. The 30-pin connector has not been used afterwards.
Which software is installed on it? The iPad 3 can be updated to iOS 9.3.5 or 9.3.6.

The iPad Air 2 has a lightning connector, btw., and the latest devices have a USB-C port.

Thank you for that revelation.
The OS Version 9.3,5 (13G 36)
I shall return to the vendor.
The machine is slow and requires multiple tapping to get anything to happen.
I wonder why the iPAD 3 was dropped.
I might ask further questions after talking with the vendor
Thanks, once again
Keep safe.

Most reactions

Latest posts