What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numbers

mal30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm an accounting major trying to decide if numbers is worth buying or not?

dynasty82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my experience and minimal use, I think it's worth it. The only thing I did find helpful is to get a wireless keyboard because typing on the screen was a pain. It does everything I need it to do but it all depends on what you plan to use it for. I believe microsoft is coming out with some office software as well but not sure when or what all it will contain.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm an accounting major trying to decide if numbers is worth buying or not?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

If you are considering Numbers as an iPad replacement for Excel on a standard computer, then be quite wary - I use Numbers (and have used Excel for years although not as a 'pro') and the app fits my basic needs but the program will not approach the power of the MS offering; if as an accounting major, you need the 'bells & whistles' of Excel, then Numbers may not satisfy; thus, you have to define your needs?

Now there have been a few excellent comparisons of Office Apps for the iPad - check This One; a search may bring up some more - good luck!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As an accounting major you are probably going to have to marry Excel. While Numbers is a great app, and probably makes the prettiest spreadsheets on the iPad, it's Excel compatibility is less impressive. While adequate for the occasional import/export of Excel documents, you are probably going to find you need to seamlessly work on the same documents on your iPad and desktop. That not only means good compatibility, but excellent cloud integration; like DropBox.

While still not perfect the other Office suite apps are better for this than Numbers. The most popular are QuickOffice, Documents to Go, and Office HD. I recommend you look into those. Each of them is pretty good, so I suggest you look closely at specific features that you may need.

BTW, I'm a Numbers user, and I love the app. I can't think of anything that would convince me to use one of the others apps; except needing better Excel compatibility. But I'm just a casual user of spreadsheets. When I build them it's for the entertainment, and to help others. (yes, I know that's a bit weird).

OP
mal30

mal30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I wanted to see what others thought about it before I paid $10 for it. Pages and keynote I found to be very useful with school. Being in my senior year I'm doing more work with spreadsheets and thought about buying numbers. I'll stick to using the computer until Microsoft releases and excel app for the iPad or apple upgrades numbers with better compatibility.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no telling when or even if Microsoft will release their own apps. It's all rumors. If you can do without a spreadsheet on the iPad, fine; but if you need one there is little point in waiting for a maybe.

Besides, none of the apps are that expensive. Even a broke college student should be able scrape up the funds. ;)

babypink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased numbers and found it useful, but only when the hard work is done in Excel. It's ok to adjust and format a spreadsheet but found it restrictive to start from scratch

Hope that helps

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just takes a bit of practice. If you are used to typing the formulas in, then Numbers takes some getting used to. It works well for simple formulas; but starts to get painful for more complex formulas if you try to enter them without a clear idea of what and how you are going to put them together.

Mind, I would like a text entry method of creating formulas as an option. It is easier to edit mistakes, and goes more quickly if you already know your formulas and syntax.

OP
mal30

mal30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The formulas I would be using wouldn't be that complex. I think I'm going to give it a try. I hate having to go to the library every time I have to make a spreadsheet.

Most reactions