What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numbers...How to graph vs time of day

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 3 column chart: Time of day (independent variable), systolic & diastolic pressures (dependent variables). Time of day is random, inserted using the "NOW" button. I plot this data daily on a simple 2D line graph. The X axis always plots in constant increments.

Is there a way to get the spacing on this axis to vary in accordance with the random times of day?

Larry Cruzen

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only way I can think of is to pre-create a row for each time you need to record. Depending on how granular you need this to be it could be morning/noon/evening, or hourly (one row per hour).

That, of course, can make for some really long tables.

I once created a time chart using the table itself. I created a column for each 30 minute's of a day, along a row. I doubt this would server your needs, but it might give you some ideas.

https://app.box.com/s/c36mqqil473710nlqv2t

There are values in the cells, for computation purposes, but I made them the same color as the cell background so they would not distract. I image you'd want to do the opposite. Though you could change the background colors of the cells to reflect high/good/low blood pressures results.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that. The latest version of Numbers does support scatter charts; both static and interactive.

I really need to explore the new chart types and find out what I can do with them.

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, thanks again. I know that there are updates available for both NUMBERS and PAGES, but, I have no broadband available where I live to download them. Next time I get into a civilized area I will update all of my apps.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 3 column chart: Time of day (independent variable), systolic & diastolic pressures (dependent variables). Time of day is random, inserted using the "NOW" button. I plot this data daily on a simple 2D line graph. The X axis always plots in constant increments.

Is there a way to get the spacing on this axis to vary in accordance with the random times of day?

Larry Cruzen

There are several apps on the app store which are used for keeping track of blood pressure results, some free, some paid. I use BPCompanion which is free and very good. There is also a paid version which can deal with multiple users. Graphing is a feature of all of them. Suggest you might like to investigate,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now, why didn't I think to look for an app for this purpose!

Thank you very much.

I have downloaded this app and am experimenting with it.

Have you found a way to add comments to a data point, such as "after vigorous exercise"?

Larry Cruzen

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Larry Cruzen

Negative. However it does include heart rate, vigorous exercise would presumably increase this.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your reply about no comments is odd as I notice the second entry under features for that app is "add note to the readings"!

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your reply about no comments is odd as I notice the second entry under features for that app is "add note to the readings"!

Ooppss ! Do you know I have been using this app for months and never noticed that the new data entry screen has 3 separate sections. One to enter timed and dated bp readings and heartrate, another to add weight, and finally to add a short note. I suppose it's a case of you only use an app as you want to. If a note is added it appears at the right of the screen, and ALL data can be exported in a variety of ways including xls and pdf files. Wow. That makes it even more of a useful tool. Sorry I misled people.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I find that often if you spend some time just exploring what an app can do, it often will do a lot more than you first thought.

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When someone recommends a free app of interest to me, I generally just download it and dive into it. If I can't readily figure it out, delete it.

In the case of BP COMPANION, it was straightforward and intuitive. Don't like entering numbers with a dial, though. I can enter 3 digits faster & more accurately by typing them in.

Larry Cruzen

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just downloaded the free version for myself - thanks for mentioning it!

Does anyone know if it is possible to put previous readings in or does it only log numbers for the current date/time?

Most reactions

Latest posts