What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notes on iPad disappear

Bill Johnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done a search but cannot find anything on this. After while the Notes on my iPad disappear and can be found on my PC mail program in a folder called "notes". Why does it happen, how can I stop it and is any easy way of sending them back, other than emailing them one at a time? I have a feeling that I read once that it was due to iCloud.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you have your Notes set to sync with a non-iCloud email account. When you sync notes with Yahoo, Google, or Hotmail (not sure about that one) they actually sync with a special Notes folder in your email.

If you edit or modify those notes in email, in any way, the syncing is broken. While I've never heard of it happening, I suppose something going on with your email account might break it as well.

If you do have an iCloud account I suggest you go through each of your mail accounts in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Accounts and turn off Email syncing; except for iCloud.

Then go to Settings > Notes and make sure iCloud is your default account.

You'll probably want to copy all your notes somewhere else first; though you should get the option to keep notes locally when you turn off an account.

If it does end up creating a local note folder, there is a way to combine that back with iCloud later, if you decide you want to.

The other thing you can do, and what I do, is use a different note taking app as your primary notes app. I'm fond of Evernote; though to get the full benefit of their service on iOS you need a Prime account at about $5 a month.

But, if your note taking is moderate, and you're willing to settle for internet only access of your notes on the iPad, the free service is plenty.

Of course, there is no shortage of other fine note taking apps.

Most reactions

Latest posts