What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

notes is missing camera, table tool…

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
2nd generation 12.9” ipad pro - notes app lacks camera, table tool. any hint how to restore them?

thank you!

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That’s where I though those items should be, but they’re there not on my iPad. Screen captures show what I have:

Notes interface iPad.png

iPad model iPad OS 	14.8.png

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is very strange. I have been trying to replicate your screen on my iPad Pro and I can’t. Have you tried force quitting Notes? Or, if that doesn’t work you could try deleting the Notes App and then redownloading it.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
after posting the “new note” i got a bug up to try something. I offloaded notes and re-uploaded it, taking care to choose the ipad version. first time i reinstalled notes app, it was hard to make a note. the camera and 3-dot menu, etc visible initially but vanished after I made 1 new note.

i deleted the app again and the second time I reinstalled I was able to make 2 notes and still had the camera, grid, etc.

Id recently zeroed out the ipad and fresh reinstalled os apps and files from a usb drive backup. messages has also been misbehaving…i’d try deleting and reinstalling it if I knew I wouldn’t wreck the chats which my other apple devices use, too.

maybe nuke and pave sometimes fails on ipad pro, needs to be redone?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What you could try before you nuke and pave would be first to back your iPad up to iCloud (it is usually on by default) and then restore it factory settings followed by installing your saved backup.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you perhaps using the Notes app with another account like Google or HotMail? It’s possible not all features of the Notes app will work if you are not either keeping your notes local, or syncing them with an iCloud account.

That’s just a guess. The screenshot looks like an older version of Notes before the extra features were available. Most of those new features were added at the same time that the Notes app changed from being a part of the Mail account to it’s own iCloud account. I suspect that notes stored and synced on other Mail accounts may not have the ability to sync with all of the new features.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you perhaps using the Notes app with another account like Google or HotMail? It’s possible not all features of the Notes app will work if you are not either keeping your notes local, or syncing them with an iCloud account.

That’s just a guess. The screenshot looks like an older version of Notes before the extra features were available. Most of those new features were added at the same time that the Notes app changed from being a part of the Mail account to it’s own iCloud account. I suspect that notes stored and synced on other Mail accounts may not have the ability to sync with all of the new features.
Thank you, twerppoet;

I am not using the notes app with google or hotmail, (I didn’t even know this was a thing) and I do not use iCloud.

Somehow, an older version was installed when I recently nuke n paved. De-installing Notes, then re-installing it got me the new version.

Thank you for your help and suggestions!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, that is just strange. Glad you got it straightened out. Just today I was showing a friend how to do some things on his old iOS 11 phone. It really brought home how much the interface has changed over the years. Too me a while to figure out how to add a photo to his note.

Most reactions

Latest posts