What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note taking/organizing app for iPad for typed notes

Tassiecelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
Notability is what you want - it's the best app I've ever seen for typed-in notes...

I bought it but struggle to figure it out, not too intuitive (or I'm dumb)

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tassiecelt said:

Wow - really? Granted, any app with the power of Notability has a small learning curve, but I certainly didn't find it hard to use at all... Try spending a few days with it - it's worth the effort...

OP
A

ahmadnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tassiecelt said:

Wow - really? Granted, any app with the power of Notability has a small learning curve, but I certainly didn't find it hard to use at all... Try spending a few days with it - it's worth the effort...
Notability was as intuitive as I could have expected since it is pretty much based on the standard Apple Notes app with advanced features added to that.

Only took me a minute to clip an image from the internet from right within the App. Brilliant and exactly what I personally needed.

I'm going to have another look at Evernote but I still haven't had my question answered - can you take a clipping (text or images) from the internet (ie. Mobile Safari) and paste it into an Evernote note?? Because I struggled to work that out and it was a dealbreaker.

Reaction score
ahmadnz said:
I'm going to have another look at Evernote but I still haven't had my question answered - can you take a clipping (text or images) from the internet (ie. Mobile Safari) and paste it into an Evernote note?? Because I struggled to work that out and it was a dealbreaker.

A simple Copy/Paste of text&image works for me. And as far as I know, that is always the minimum amount of steps required to copy an image, or text, from Safari to another app.

The image get's added to the note as an attachment though and isn't inserted into the actual note. So the image get's listed at the top of the note.

Last edited:
OP
A

ahmadnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahmadnz said:

A simple Copy/Paste of text&image works for me. And as far as I know, that is always the minimum amount of steps required to copy an image, or text, from Safari to another app.

The image get's added to the note as an attachment though and isn't inserted into the actual note. So the image get's listed at the top of the note.
Hi thanks for the reply!

So just to confirm - are you saying that I can't copy text and images from the internet and paste it "in-line" within a typed note? Like I might with a Word Processor or similar program?

Because that's something that is essential to me. Thanks.

Reaction score
ahmadnz said:
Hi thanks for the reply!

So just to confirm - are you saying that I can't copy text and images from the internet and paste it "in-line" within a typed note? Like I might with a Word Processor or similar program?

You can copy text and paste it right into an Evernote note. It's just when you paste an image into the note, it will show the image at the top of the note, rather than showing the image at the place, where it was inserted.

OP
A

ahmadnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahmadnz said:
Hi thanks for the reply!

You can copy text and paste it right into an Evernote note. It's just when you paste an image into the note, it will show the image at the top of the note, rather than showing the image at the place, where it was inserted.
Thanks again. I wonder if they will change this in the future because it just won't do for me and some others that are taking notes for study for example.

Do you have to switch to Safari, copy, switch back to Evernote, and paste?

Notability lets you open an in-app browser which is a huge timesaver.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never understood all of the buzz around Evernote... It's very "plain" if you ask me - no fonts, no in-line pictures, etc (I can just type an email and add an attachment if I wanted that!)...

OP
A

ahmadnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never understood all of the buzz around Evernote... It's very "plain" if you ask me - no fonts, no in-line pictures, etc (I can just type an email and add an attachment if I wanted that!)...
I like the concept of syncing across all devices (I am hoping that Notability can become a universal App so that I have my notes on my iPhone to be honest) but no fonts or in-line pictures just doesn't work for me.

MwG_Dave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahmadnz said:
I like the concept of syncing across all devices (I am hoping that Notability can become a universal App so that I have my notes on my iPhone to be honest) but no fonts or in-line pictures just doesn't work for me.

I believe (though I don't have the time currently to check) that Evernote allows video and inline images on the desktop version. Only on the iPad version does the attachment rule apply . And honestly, does it really matter if you have no fonts. I could care less if what I read is Times New Roman or Comic Sans or whatever. Frankly, sometimes fonts are just downright annoying.

MwG-DAVE/LADY GAGA

OP
A

ahmadnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Point 1. The fonts in Notability are beautiful. I didn't see Comic Sans there.

Point 2. I don't use different fonts generally but the ability to distinguish between subject headings and the bullet pointing makes Notability hands down an impressive app for the task.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Notability and quite like it. But I found two big problems (for me at least). It does not support table and no automatic sync with cloud (I need to manually sync with Dropbox).

Also there is no concept of page break!

MwG_Dave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahmadnz said:
Point 1. The fonts in Notability are beautiful. I didn't see Comic Sans there.

Point 2. I don't use different fonts generally but the ability to distinguish between subject headings and the bullet pointing makes Notability hands down an impressive app for the task.

Ahh now I understand. Yes that is a major drawback of Evernote is the inability to make headings, italicize, bold, etc. However, Evernote has been making major changes to their app and service in general so it would not surprise me to see these features soon.

MwG-DAVE/LADY GAGA

fgrigorio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evernote is great but the problem in the iPad version is that one cannot clip from safari the way one can do it on a mac. Can't understand why apple has removed this functionality from evernote for iPad!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions