What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note taking/organizing app for iPad for typed notes

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for the best iPad app to suit my needs, namely:

- TYPED notes that can be organised and searched for within the App

- preferably with sync/backup

- if possible the ability to copy and paste both text and images

I tried searching on the forums but all the searches seem to be for handwritten notes - I am not going to handwriting notes as I would rather type on a keyboard, so essentially I am looking for the keyboard typed equivalent of the handwritten notes such as Penultimate that people here commonly use.

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks!

PlainText does exactly that except for images with synching through DropBox. Plus it's free.

OP
A

ahmadnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But free Evernote does not work in offline mode. Spring pad is better on that respect.
I should have added that it is essentially that the app but useful when "offline" - I saw Evernote was free but I never downloaded it because something felt "not quite right" about it. Does Evernote always require an internet connection?

And what does the Evernote subscription service do - do I need to buy it for the App to actually be functional and allow me to sync?

Very interested in Notability for 59p/99c - any limitations or major flaws in this one?

Thanks everyone.

MwG_Dave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If i were you, i would definitly get evernote. It is worth the subscription. The ability to sync up to 10gb of video, text, audio, or pictures is amazing. You can pay for the subscription in app so it is very convenient. I can't remember all of the features. Just check the evernote website. It's worth it I promise you. This is your best solution.

OP
A

ahmadnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's far too much to pay for my intended usage. Is the free non-subscription of any use at all or do I just buy Notability instead?

Tassiecelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bribrianna said:
Why don't you get Pages. It is worth the money and a brilliant app all round :)

Can pages insert a photo from the camera, and insert tables?

Correction, Ive found it cannot do any of these things and IMHO is quite a useless app.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would go with evernote. It's highly unlikely you would exceed your monthly free allowance unless you are note taking 24/7.
The multiple tag system makes searching easy while the frequent syncing means your work is never lost and accessible from any machine or web browser.
I've been using it for several years now ( mac, pc) and it's proved very reliable with regular updates. As it's free it's a no brainer.
Take a look at their website for a run down of it's features.

OP
A

ahmadnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because it was free I downloaded Evernote. Am I kissing something because it was awful!

I deleted it straight away and downloaded Notability. It was amazing.

How do you even add webclips from Safari in Evernote??

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ahmadnz said:
Because it was free I downloaded Evernote. Am I kissing something because it was awful!

I deleted it straight away and downloaded Notability. It was amazing.

How do you even add webclips from Safari in Evernote??

Good choice. Notability is excellent.

OP
A

ahmadnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is Evernote rubbish or did I just not click with it??

Have never deleted an App faster in my life.

MwG_Dave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evernote is most certainly not garbage. The free version works just as good as the full version. Before you spend the money on whatever they are telling you to buy, try Evernote for at least a week. If you like it, as I am almost certain you will, you can purchase the premium subscription. If you don't like it, go try something else.

MwG-DAVE/LADY GAGA

MwG_Dave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahmadnz said:

You should have given it more time. It would be like me calling Zelda the worst game ever made because I lost the first time I tried. You have to give things time.

MwG-DAVE/LADY GAGA

OP
A

ahmadnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahmadnz said:

You should have given it more time. It would be like me calling Zelda the worst game ever made because I lost the first time I tried. You have to give things time.

MwG-DAVE/LADY GAGA
I started out with a clear list of essentials, and Evernote couldn't elegantly do one or two of those essentials.

I couldn't easily take a clip from the web and insert it freely anywhere on the page.

And custom formatting on the note pages wasn't to my liking at all. I very much like the way that the bullets and carriage returns work in Notability.

99c very well spent and glad I did spend it even though I hardly spend any money on the App store, usually settling for free alternatives.

I'm not suggesting that Evernote doesn't have its uses but I'm asking if it just isn't the right App for my intended usage as per post #1 because I certainly didn't get the right vibe from the App.

eyeojo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Despite all persnicketiness, glad to see the support for Evernote, which has become my goto. Give it like a day or a week before you get safari iOS web clipping and other bells and whistles. Invest now in the foundation of this literal accessory brain. This is an app built to last.

For the record, you can Record notes (audio, video, typed, images, etc etc) whenever in the free version, online or off (preferably off and outside!)

OP
A

ahmadnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So are you confirming that Evernote doesn't let me web clip from Mobile Safari into a note?

It is so easy to copy and and paste something from the web, resize an image, etc. all without leaving Notability that 99c was a great spend to be honest. And I really like the lovely easy on the eye fonts.

Most reactions

Latest posts