What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note Taker HD vs. Notes Plus

Claudia Wey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notes Plus is the best!

I did tried both, and my preferences goes to Notes Plus. After trying many different apps, Notes Plus has gained the top position in my daily routine. Notes Plus is very simple, yet very powerful and packed with many extremely useful features that make for a very effective note taking experience. The biggest shortcoming is the lack of endless pages. Pages are a physical constraint when working on paper, but a completely artificial and unnecessary constraint when working with electronic media.
I had reviewed both apps on my blog if you are interested on more details:
ipad-app-review.blogspot.com

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Claudia Wey said:
I did tried both, and my preferences goes to Notes Plus. After trying many different apps, Notes Plus has gained the top position in my daily routine. Notes Plus is very simple, yet very powerful and packed with many extremely useful features that make for a very effective note taking experience. The biggest shortcoming is the lack of endless pages. Pages are a physical constraint when working on paper, but a completely artificial and unnecessary constraint when working with electronic media.
I had reviewed both apps on my blog if you are interested on more details:
ipad-app-review.blogspot.com

Thanks for the reviews Claudia. I like Notes Plus too, but can't honestly say that I've given Dan Bricklin's program enough time to decide. I don't like Penultimate's landscape mode and it seems a bit underpowered compared to these two.

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just dl'd NOTES PLUS and have been messing with it. I found an old Newton stylus but it doesn't work apparently on the iPad. Takes a special stylus does it?

...OK. answered my own question. DUH!

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just dl'd NOTES PLUS and have been messing with it. I found an old Newton stylus but it doesn't work apparently on the iPad. Takes a special stylus does it?

...OK. answered my own question. DUH!

The old Apple Newton (ah - fond memories) had a pressure sensitive screen so almost anything could be used - pencil, finger etc.

The iPad screen is capacitive and is much more sensitive. But it needs a special type of stylus that provides the appropriate 'capacitive' signal to the screen. You'll see several threads on this Forum from Members who have made their own, it's not a difficult process.

Tim

topcatone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny I have both, and just scratched them, I went with I annotate, downloaded a blank Cornell note template and said the hell with it. Note plus... had trouble with the margins, importing. Note taker HD...where's the record button? Drop Box? etc.... I annotate allows me to import the powerpoint from class.... have a blast. plus i can insert my notes into the pdf and yes the update has a record feature that hand to gloves the text..... anybody in the market for a livescribe pen? I think both apps are great, however success in school is inversely related to the amount of tools you have in the toolbox... more apps is not a good thing.... last time I was in college, i only used an 80page notebook a pen and a book... K.I.S.S. good day

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
topcatone said:
Funny I have both, and just scratched them, I went with I annotate, downloaded a blank Cornell note template and said the hell with it. Note plus... had trouble with the margins, importing. Note taker HD...where's the record button? Drop Box? etc.... I annotate allows me to import the powerpoint from class.... have a blast. plus i can insert my notes into the pdf and yes the update has a record feature that hand to gloves the text..... anybody in the market for a livescribe pen? I think both apps are great, however success in school is inversely related to the amount of tools you have in the toolbox... more apps is not a good thing.... last time I was in college, i only used an 80page notebook a pen and a book... K.I.S.S. good day

Interesting. I don't have iAnnotate (sp?), but I've heard good things about. I think I'll put it on a price watch list. :)

Jipsy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm torn between the 2, for me:
- notetaker allows pdf import and notation and addition of pages into the pdf
- notes plus allows me to make a directory structure for my notes

Jon

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Notetaker HD is better. The latest update is really good.

Notes plus is buggy. Especially if you write fast it will miss some strokes.

The best two handwritten notes apps are Notetaker HD and UPAD.

Neilyo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notetaker HD is better. The latest update is really good.

Notes plus is buggy. Especially if you write fast it will miss some strokes.

The best two handwritten notes apps are Notetaker HD and UPAD.

I havent used Notetaker so I cant say attest to whether or not its better, but i will dispute your comment that Notes Plus is buggy. I use it almost exclusively in my history class and i have found it to be very smooth. I have not discovered any bugs in my daily usage that I can think of.
I especially like that i can record lectures and note take and later go back and flush my notes out further in more detail from the recordings.
The cut and move feature is also especially useful.
When I was deciding between the two apps one of the things that sold it for me is that I like how tranparent the developer is. On his site, he is always updating users on what new items hes working on, taking in feedback, and scheduling improvements he's working on. There is a teaser video there for Notes Plus Version 3 that seems like its going to be very good. Built in browsing, cutting and pasting photos from the browser to the note by using a press and hold gesture and opening and writing directly on PDF files are a couple of the new improvements that are upcoming.
Recently he announced he is also working with another developer to use their handwriting recognition engine to export handwritten notes to text. The other developer makes a free app called myscript memo. I know some users in earlier posts were looking for this function.
The dev link can be found here. notesplusapp.com/versions/version-3
Anyway thats my two cents.

Last edited:

ProfessorBart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded "Cornell Notes" that just came available on the iPad. It's great for quickly taking Cornell Note-taking System style notes, but not a lot of frills or special features. Meets my needs though...

Most reactions