What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

not until Yosemite

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I read the words right I do not want to opt into the new icloud drive until Yosemite comes out some time in the unknown future. If I do I will not be able to access all the Keynote, Pages etc docs I got on the cloud now.

Seems kind of half baked not to release Yosemite at same time as ios8. Got docs on cloud I need to get at now.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I read the words right I do not want to opt into the new icloud drive until Yosemite comes out some time in the unknown future. If I do I will not be able to access all the Keynote, Pages etc docs I got on the cloud now.

Seems kind of half baked not to release Yosemite at same time as ios8. Got docs on cloud I need to get at now.
If you opt in to the new iCloud Drive when updating to iOS 8, that device will have full access to all your content in the cloud. It's any devices that are not on iOS 8 or OSX Yosemite that will lose all access.

BTW, OSX Yosemite will be released sometime in October.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Right so I can access my Keynote data on the iPad but not the iMac. Think I'll wait! You would think they would have released the two together.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Right so I can access my Keynote data on the iPad but not the iMac. Think I'll wait! You would think they would have released the two together.
OSX is a more sophisticated operating system than iOS and takes longer to go through the beta process. Apple won't release the OSX Yosemite update until they feel it's ready for public release.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Additional comment. IOS 8 needs 7G to install. My 16G iPad doesn't have room, will have to jettison a lot of apps. After installing on my mini, it appears to take only a bit more than 7 did. So I can reinstall the apps.

This sound right?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's correct. Instead of having to manually add back everything that you deleted you could back up your iPad just before your update, then restore your iPad and set it up from the backup you made.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Will it backup from iCloud even though it has some of the data still on it. I thought it only backed up a totally cleaned off device.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting! Wonder what it needs vs the 6.9 G via wifi.

Google search shows it only needs 1 G or so free. Thanks. May be way to go.. Or hang in for a month more and get a new 32G new 'Pad. :)

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read the disclaimer about the cloud drive but went ahead and did it anyways. No biggy, I'll just have to use my iPad to update documents until October when the MacBook Pro gets the update. Not a big deal for me but I can see how it could be for users with a lot of docs and photos being edited on multiple devices. Be careful! :)

Most reactions