What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not finding wireless network

weamish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't had any wireless problems until the past few days, now it's no longer finding my network (doesn't appear on the list). Other times the network will briefly appear, I'll click on it and enter password, then get message: Unable to join network. When it does appear, it's showing a strong signal. Tried putting the ipad right next to the router, no change. I have several other devices running wireless with no problems. Tried a network reset, no change. Any ideas? Thanks! ...Steve

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you say network reset are you talking about the iPad in settings or resetting your router? Try unplugging your router for about 10 seconds, plug it back in, wait about one minute and reset the iPad (hold the home and top button down until it shuts down (you see the little apple) release and if it doesn't restart hold the top button until you see the apple again. In a minute or so it will finish starting. See if it reconnects to the network.

OP
W

weamish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Rebooted the ipad. My network appears, but still getting Unable to Join message. Confirmed on another device that the password is correct (hasn't changed)

OP
W

weamish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried it again, connected to my network ok (clicked Join on the dialog box instead of the keypad, that seems to work). But then it almost immediately disconnected, even though the ipad is sitting next to the router. I have other devices (TV etc) at the other end of the house, connecting with no problems.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just tried it again, connected to my network ok (clicked Join on the dialog box instead of the keypad, that seems to work). But then it almost immediately disconnected, even though the ipad is sitting next to the router. I have other devices (TV etc) at the other end of the house, connecting with no problems.

Hi Steve, you might try this, it has worked in some situations before:
Settings>General>WiFi then tap the blue arrow next to your Internet Provider's name.
Then tap "Forget this Network".
Then go back to WiFi and re-enter your IP's requested info just like you did when you first set up your internet account.
Restart your iPad. Hoping that might help:)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If what the OB said doesn't work, then what is your router, how old is it, and when is the last time you updated its firmware? There are times when the fault is the router.

OP
W

weamish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried forgetting and re-entering the network, same result (network does not appear in list, or Unable to join network when it does appear). Router is Netgear N150 WNR1000v2, firmware is up to date. It's been working fine for more than a year, up until the last week or so. Other devices still connecting with no problems (laptops, cellphones, TV, DVD, Tivo, Roku, Kindle)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Will your iPad connect to any network?

OP
W

weamish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will your iPad connect to any network?
<br><br>Yes, it will sporadically connect with an unsecured network from the drop-down list. Before I went thru the forget-reset procedure, it would sometimes connect with my network, but then would lose the connection almost immediately. But since forgetting the network, haven't been able to get past Unable to join network (confirmed the unchanged password on other devices)

OP
W

weamish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I think I found the problem. The Comcast tech was out here last week and changed the router to channel 11 to avoid interference from other apartments in the building. I just changed it to channel 6, now seems to be working. Any idea why this affects the ipad but not any of the other devices?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have changed the channel on my router and the iPad just followed, as did all other wifi devices.

Most reactions