What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Wi-Fi connection

bundydoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a situation where an iPad is connecting to the Wireless but it cannot get a webpage. The Wireless network in question is the Alaska lounge at LAX. They gave us the network SSID and password. When we scan for networks, it shows up, but when we select it, a check mark shows next to it without ever asking us for the password. If I check the IP information it shows that it is getting an IP address but we cannot get any webpages. One sign is that the wireless signal icon that normally appears next to the words iPad in the top left never shows up.

I've tried manually inputting the network and password but it would then say network not found.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

gwynsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First try telling the iPad to forget the network and try again. If that doesn't work, go to the network details page by pressing the arrow to the side of the network name in wireless settings. Check that you have DHCP enabled then that you have a valid ip address - anything starting with 10 or 172 or 192 is good. That being the case, check that there is at least one address in the DNS line; if not add one manually (8.8.4.4 should work) You could also try adding that address to any that are already present, but we're really clutching at straws by now.

By the way, if your ip address shows as starting with 169 it means that the network is not serving you an ip address at all.

Hope this is of some help

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Jembie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it not waiting for you to log in first. Sometimes with public wifi it says it's connected but you can't access the Internet until the safari page has popped up and you have logged in.

Sent from my iPad in Derby, England

OP
B

bundydoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great suggestions

Thanks for both of the suggestions. I didn't even think about the splash login page. that's probably what the issue was.

I believe he was getting an IP address, but it could have been a DNS issue too.

Thanks again for the ammunition the next time this happens.

Karen48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just noticed your email from another user and my ip address starts with 169. What can I do to get the internet?

gwynsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just noticed your email from another user and my ip address starts with 169. What can I do to get the internet?
Hi, Karen48,
First we need to know the type of network you are trying to join; is it public (an hotel, airport, Starbucks etc) or private (your own at home or a friend's)
If you want to PM me I will take you through the steps, or I will PM you if you don't yet have enough posts.
Let us know...

Karen48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for wanting to help, but I was able to get help with Verizon and my settings on my router. It's all good now. Yay!!

Thanks though.

Hi, Karen48,
First we need to know the type of network you are trying to join; is it public (an hotel, airport, Starbucks etc) or private (your own at home or a friend's)
If you want to PM me I will take you through the steps, or I will PM you if you don't yet have enough posts.
Let us know...

Most reactions