What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nook to iBook

larsen44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have bought an ebook on my nook app but I would rather read it on my iBook, (the ebook was not available on iBook). I believe it has the drm (?) protection but I have read some post that say you can still move the ebook from reading sources. I have purchase this ebook from the nook (B&N) site.
Thanks for your help!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved this to the iBooks section, where I think it will receive better attention.

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You cannot transfer/read a book you purchased from Barnes & Noble (to read on the Nook) to the iBook app.

This is because of Digital Rights Management (DRM) which is "protection" coded into ebooks by publishers. Barnes & Noble has their own DRM version, Apple has theirs and ne'er the two shall mix.

Bottom line: Without some potentially "gray area" file manipulation, no, you cannot transfer DRM-protected ebooks between reading apps.

Marilyn

OP
L

larsen44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
You cannot transfer/read a book you purchased from Barnes & Noble (to read on the Nook) to the iBook app.

This is because of Digital Rights Management (DRM) which is "protection" coded into ebooks by publishers. Barnes & Noble has their own DRM version, Apple has theirs and ne'er the two shall mix.

Bottom line: Without some potentially "gray area" file manipulation, no, you cannot transfer DRM-protected ebooks between reading apps.

Marilyn

Thanks for the reply Marilyn! If iBooks would have had the book I wanted I would have use it. I have been learning how to use Nook and I can use with out having to go to that "gray area" you mention. Thanks again!

Maggie2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am such a newbe that I did not integrate all parts of the original question, such as the reference to nook.

I am not offended to have my stumbles pointed out.

However, I have a Kindle and was thrilled to find out that there is a Kindle app that lets me transfer Kindle books to my iPad and read them on the iPad.
I have heard some people complain about Barnes and Noble, so perhaps it does not yet have a similar iPad app for legal reading of purchased books.

I have so much to learn about my iPad that I don't have many questions yet which are not answered by the manuals.

But if I ever find a legal app to read E-Reader books (Palm version) on the iPad, I will start a thread on that solution. I have hundreds of books on my aged Palm TX. Maggie ;)

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have had no problems with B&N's app. I have discovered there is a lag between purchasing and the book appearing for download.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Maggie2011 said:
But if I ever find a legal app to read E-Reader books (Palm version) on the iPad, I will start a thread on that solution. I have hundreds of books on my aged Palm TX. Maggie ;)

Stanza will read the .prc and .mobi file format. If you have old DRM books from eReader.com or fictionwise.com it can also be associated with those accounts to read your older Palm eBooks.

Maggie2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Twerpoet! Stanza is an amazing program with many features. I re-downloaded several books from the Fictionwise site.

Then, I noticed that there is an E-Reader app for the iPad. That is a real bonanza for me, and I was able to re-download 160 books directly from the E-Reader site to my iPad 2 with one keystroke.

I do want to emphasize that my downloading of these books I purchased previously did not violate any rules, laws or policies. The different e-reading devices and sellers have a variety of policies. I am lucky that I started digital reading with Fictionwise and E-Reader. From the start, they offer each book in a variety of formats for different devices. I am sorry to hear that Nook has a more restricted policy for digital book purchasers.

I am a strong supporter of drm and copyrights. The companies that allow downloading in multiple formats retain a loyal customer like myself by letting me read my older books when I upgrade to a nicer device, and they also get continuing purchases by me. Fictionwise, Kindle and E-Reader
protect their rights by requiring the reader to enter a personal ID and the credit card number used to purchase the item before it can be opened. I for one, do not share my credit card info with others, and I would not make an illegal copy of protected materials for anybody. I made my living writing copyrighted journalism in my first career.

The Kindle's need for exterior lighting was less pleasing to me to read, because I was so used to the backlighting and scrolling on the Palm TX.
I love reading on the beautiful iPad 2 backlit screen, and I love re-reading old classics and some of my professional literature more than one time, without carrying around 60 boxes of books. I remember using mobipocket to read books and to reformat PDF files for reading on other devices also, but have not yet seen any need for it on my iPad 2.

At this early time in the explosion of the digital market, none of the catalogs have a broad enough selection for my personal and professional needs. I really like having the variety of sellers and hope that competition among them slows inflation.

Thank you for the valuable recommendations.

Maggie2011

Sent from my iPad using iPF

crappa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maggie,
In Safari, go to the Nook Bookstore, login, go to (something like) my account > my library. When you go to download your book, an open in button will appear, choose iBooks. I tried this on 2 books, 1 book worked and 1 didn't. But because my Nook app is updated and broken, I put most of my books in Bluefire reader this way. 5 books didn't work, but I already read those.

TuckerTel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, we just followed your instructions and it worked. We now have three books we got from our B&N Nook account "open in" iBooks and now on our iPad. Even though we have a color Nook, reading on our iPad is SO much better. Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts