What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Sound From Video in Keynote

My911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keynote for the iPad does not have the ability to add sound clips to actions. The only audio file you can add is a soundtrack for the entire presentation.

You can add links to text, shapes, and objects that will go to another slide, go to a website, or email; but there is no way to attache a sound to the action.

Adding media using the + button only allows for adding photos and videos, which must be in the Photos library to be accessible. I admit the music note part of the icon is misleading.

I have in the past added a sound track to an individual slide, by hocus-pocus. Basically it was a video that had only one unmoving picture, and a soundtrack. It was terribly inefficient. You could play the video by tapping on it, or by advancing the slide. There was no way to make it some kind of repeating sound/action button.

I could be wrong about this, but if I am the feature is well hidden and not mentioned in the help files. The word trigger does not show up in a search.
Hi,
I just got Keynote.... I added a video ( from my photos list) but no sound plays through the speakers.
I am able to hear the sound in earbuds plugged into the audio jack.

What am I missing?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You may have to ask your question in your own thread to get attention, as this thread is almost three years old.

But I'll add what little I know.

It might be the video format. I've heard that some of the video formats will show video but not play sound. Try converting the video to something more standard (for Apple) like a .mov or .m4v file.

I don't have much experience myself, but if you search around on the forum you'll find advice on how to convert movie files so that they are compatible with the iPad.

OP
My911

My911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may have to ask your question in your own thread to get attention, as this thread is almost three years old.

But I'll add what little I know.

It might be the video format. I've heard that some of the video formats will show video but not play sound. Try converting the video to something more standard (for Apple) like a .mov or .m4v file.

I don't have much experience myself, but if you search around on the forum you'll find advice on how to convert movie files so that they are compatible with the iPad.
Thanks for the reply.
I'll try.
But it only seems natural that a video made on an ipad should automatically be compatible?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry ... I don't have the expertise to help.

I'm just posting to say I've moved your issue to its own thread (in the iPad Help area). Hopefully, it'll get more visibility...

Good luck.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I'll try.
But it only seems natural that a video made on an ipad should automatically be compatible?

No. You are right. If you made the video on the iPad it should work.

This may seem obvious, but make sure you have the speaker volume turned up, and Mute turned off.

The headphone and speaker have separate volumes. Just because one is turned up does not mean the other is.

Mute is either the side switch (next to the volume buttons) or a bell icon in the Control Panel. Where it is depends on Settings > General > Use Side Switch To: Whatever the switch is set to the other option will be in the Control Panel.

I just did a quick test, and Mute does silence the audio in Keynote. So that is the most likely cause.

I didn't expect that, since Mute does not affect the audio in most music/video apps.

My Excuse:

It is possible to add video's to the Photos app, though it's not obvious. Some members have done this in the past, and had problems similar to what you were describing. And 'that' is why I jumped to the conclusion that it was a formatting problem. I should have known better and asked for more details first.

Sorry.

Most reactions

Latest posts