What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Sound for iPad 2

kmkfelts3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son's iPad 2 has been without sound for 2 days. I have:
1. Held the home button and power button down, nothing
2. Reset the settings, nothing.
3. The mute button above the volune control is not activated.
I thought maybe he has done something to it because he is 3 yrs old; however, if I go to sounds, and adjust the alerts volume, sound comes out. When I use the volune control on the side, the image of the volune does not appear but if I activate the mute button the image appears and shows me muting it. HELP!!!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My son's iPad 2 has been without sound for 2 days. I have:
1. Held the home button and power button down, nothing
2. Reset the settings, nothing.
3. The mute button above the volune control is not activated.
I thought maybe he has done something to it because he is 3 yrs old; however, if I go to sounds, and adjust the alerts volume, sound comes out. When I use the volune control on the side, the image of the volune does not appear but if I activate the mute button the image appears and shows me muting it. HELP!!!

Hi and welcome to iPF!

What you could do first: clear the multitask bar. Sometimes a combination of apps running in the background will affect the volume on iPad. To do so, double press the Home button, then the multitask bar will appear at the bottom of your screen. Tap and hold one of the apps until it wiggles, then delete all of the apps you see there.
Go to Settings - Music to see if there's a volume limit set.
If he used headphones: plug them in for some time, then out again. Plus: if they have a play button, try pressing it to resume playback. Then stop it, pull out headphones afterwards.
Also, look at the ports. Clean them, but very carefully.
If nothing of the suggested helps, reset your iPad: Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi KMK.... - I know that you stated this in your OP about resetting the iPad (i.e. simultaneously holding down the power & home buttons) - BUT, did the Apple logo appear and did the device reboot? If not, give that a try again. Also, follow Johanna's advice - finally, if nothing helps, then go into 'Settings' -> 'General' -> 'Use Side Switch to:' - change option to 'Lock Rotation'; return to the home screen and activate the side switch to see if the rotation indeed locks; if so, return to settings, reset the side switch to mute to see if the sound returns. If none of these suggestions helps, then please post back here - good luck! :)

OP
kmkfelts3

kmkfelts3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried everything you all have suggested :( Th rotation did lock. I cleared all the apps. Reset settings. Rebooted with apple image appearing...Still nothing. I guess I will be making a trip to the Apple Store unless you have any other suggestions...

I just don't understand why it works with adjusting the alerts but with nothing else?? Thanks for the help, by the way...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again KMK.... - the only other suggestions (one also mentioned by Johanna) was to check the headphone jack area - make sure that nothing is inside (a few shots of canned air can be used); if clean, insert some headphones and see if the volume can be adjusted; also, the 'Accessibility' (Settings -> General @ bottom) options can produce some strange behavior but I see nothing on my iPad 2 there to cause muted sound? - otherwise, you likely need to visit an Apple store - sorry :(

OP
kmkfelts3

kmkfelts3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK...Headphones work! :) But does that mean we have to listen to headphones from now on? :( Still no sound once headphones are taken out. Headphones and 3 yrs don't mix too well...Sigh!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK...Headphones work! :) But does that mean we have to listen to headphones from now on? :( Still no sound once headphones are taken out. Headphones and 3 yrs don't mix too well...Sigh!

Does that mean you can change the volume using your headphones?
Perhaps this will work: plug in the headphones, listen to anything, then stop whatever you were listening to. That done, pull out the headphones and try again to listen, without headphones.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The headphone jack has a switch in it that disables the external speaker when headphones are plugged in. Debris in the jack, blocking the switch, or a defective switch are the most likely explanation for your problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts