What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 lost sound

Sherol1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have an Apple IPad 3 and seem to have lost sound full stop. I have reset and reset to factory settings but no luck. When I check the mute settings by swiping to the right once I've double clicked the home button there is no sound slider. Please help.

Thanks
Sherol

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you check the headphone jack to see if there's any foreign matter in there that could interfere with the switch that shuts off the speaker? If you do find anything in there, you could try vacuuming it out.

OP
S

Sherol1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have sound now through the ear plugs but as soon as I remove the jack the sound slider on the mute setting dissapears. Great eh

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have sound now through the ear plugs but as soon as I remove the jack the sound slider on the mute setting dissapears. Great eh

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

When using the headphones, have you turned off whatever it was you were listening to first before disconnecting the headphone jack? I've heard this can mute your sound if done like this.

Also do these headphones have their own controls? If you mute the iPad from here you will need to unmute also.

And did you check if anything has been caught in the jack slot as suggested by Scifan?

OP
S

Sherol1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the responses.

I have done everything correctly with the earphones now and still same problem. Also I was playing an app/game today and the sound just came on for a few seconds then went off. I have checked the jack slot and all clear so getting stranger.

Thanks

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the responses.

I have done everything correctly with the earphones now and still same problem. Also I was playing an app/game today and the sound just came on for a few seconds then went off. I have checked the jack slot and all clear so getting stranger.

Thanks

This is strange and would seem to point to the jack slot.....I would be checking some more to make sure nothing is wedged down there. Did you do a quick vacuum?

Do you remember if it was after using the headphones that you lost sound?

I'll get you to check what feature the small switch above your volume controls is set to.
Settings - General - Use Side Switch to......this can be set to mute or lock rotation. Have a look.....try the switch and see if it makes a difference.

Most reactions

Latest posts