What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No personal hotspot button.

GabeIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I have the new iPad 4g model and I wanted to turn it into a hotspot...but I do not have a button for it under General>Network, nor under the main menu. I looked it up online, but no one has this problem. I tried resetting network settings but nothing changed. Does anyone have a solution ? Thank you!

OP
GabeIpad3

GabeIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I bought it from England, on the 3 network

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this:
Go into Settings/General/Network.
Tap Personal Hotspot

I do not know it this will be available on the model you have. If it is not, you may have to load an app that sets up a hotspot.

n0v

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From the 3 uk blog -

Carrier updates are software updates that come from the manufacturers. With some phones/manufacturers we release a customized software based upon their release which can include some specific alterations for our network. With Apple we do not customize any of their software updates and only release updates as and when Apple bring them to the market, therefore they are manufacturer initiated.

Each network can take the decision on whether or not they offer the facility to include the hotspot feature within their standard package – quite often some networks charge extra for this facility. We include this within your price plan. We do plan on having this facility as well with the new iPad but the actual ability for the iPad to act as a personal hotspot has been restricted by the manufacturer on this new model. We’ve been advised that this will be enabled in a later software update, which has been indicated as being available at the end of April.

Unfortunately this is not something that we can influence I’m afraid, and every UK network is in the same position.

OP
GabeIpad3

GabeIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, alright, I hope the feature will be installed at the end of this month. Thank you

Jduckip3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GabeIpad3 said:
Hey, I have the new iPad 4g model and I wanted to turn it into a hotspot...but I do not have a button for it under General>Network, nor under the main menu. I looked it up online, but no one has this problem. I tried resetting network settings but nothing changed. Does anyone have a solution ? Thank you!

I have the Verizon model. The Personal Hotspot button is directly under General Settings, not Network.

OP
GabeIpad3

GabeIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jduckip3 said:
I have the Verizon model. The Personal Hotspot button is directly under General Settings, not Network.

Hello, I know where it should be, but it's not. I take you're from the u.s. ? I'm from Britain and on the 3 network. They replied in my thread and said it's from them. But thank you non the less

n0v

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So just got my carrier settings updated, OTA updates over the next couple of weeks. Instant if you connect to itunes.

Works fine at last :)

n0v

L

Lunar

I have a UK 64gb 3/4G version which is not locked to a network, it currently has a T-Mobile/Orange sim in it. I don't have the hotspot option either. Though TBH it's something I'd likely never use anyway, as I have the option on both of our phones, and as they have unlimted data on a monthly contract I shall mostly be tethering to one of the phones, as it costs me nothing. I don't see much use for it on the iPad, unless you want to tether another iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Normally,the hotspot feature doesn't appear unless it has been activated by your carrier.

awboxster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have a uk iPad 3 with 3G. I have a 3 sim on contract on my wife's ipad2 . When I use the sim in my new ipad3 I get the hotspot facility..and it works fine.
Hope this helps
Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts