What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No longer able to email videos?

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I seem to recall that not too long ago I was able to email videos. I used to email them to my mother, and I don't think it was too long ago. My daughter had a baby mid February and I could swear I sent my mother some short videos.

Now I notice I get a message stating it is too large. Even a 10 second video is too large to email. There is no way she will eve be able to get anythinf from a drop box or whatever they are called. I don't use them anyway. I have no idea where they are located and how you can be sure they are deleted, or how to delete from them, plus I assume it means one more user name and password, which is not going to happen.

So, has anyone else noticed this? Why is thia happening now? Is this some Apple thing or are all the servers in cahoots to try to get you to buy storage?

Am I confused about having emailed videos before? When did it stop? I could swear I sent some of my granddaughter to her great grandmother after she was born and now I can't.

Thanks in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge your iCloud storage space should not effect the size of files you can send in Mail. At least not in a negative way. iCloud email accounts recently got a new feature that should (transparently) allow larger files to be emailed, but it's not something you can turn on/off, or should require you to purchase extra storage.

Some questions:
  • When/how do you get the too large notification. Is it in Mail itself, when you try to send the video, or later from your email provider via an email notification?
  • What are you taking the videos with? Your iPad (model), or with an iPhone (model).
  • Who is your email provider (iCloud, Gmail, other)?

Here or some things to check, try: Not all of these will apply. Depends on your device.
  • Try going to Settings > Photos and Camera and selecting a smaller video file (720p instead of 1080p)
  • Make sure you are capturing plain video and not slo-mo vidoe on the camera (takes up a lot more space)
  • You can try using iMovie to create smaller video flles.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is in the email when truing to send it. It says:

In light gray:
Mail Drop
This attachment may be too large (131 MB) tomsend in email.
Do you want to use Mail Drop to deliver the attachment usng iCloud? It will be available foe the next 30 days.

Then in blue I get the following options:

Use Mail Drop
Try Sending Attachment
Cancel

It does not matter if it is to or from gmail or my pop3 address. I am using the mail app that is preloaded on thw iPhone 6+ and iPad Air. Does not matter which device I am using to email from. I get the same message.

I do not use the iCloud. I really do not understand it. Ido not use any of the drops, clouds, boxes streams, etc. I do not understand them and doubt my mother will be able to figure out any links or whatever that will probably be sent instead of the actual attachment.

I just changed the setting on my phone to the 720 instead of the 1080 it was set at. I don't recall ever going in to settings and changing that, so not sure that is it, but it was at the 1080. I did notice that some of my settings are dfferent aftwr updating, maybe that changed it? Like I said, I was able to send videos before. I will take a little video here with my iPhine and see if I can send it out.

I take them with my iPhone 6+ qnd use the Bluetooth way of transfwrring them to my iPad. I email them from both my phone and iPad.

Will let you know if the switch to the 720 does the trick.

Thanks.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just made a 21 second video on my iPhone 6+ with the 720 setting and I tried to email it and got the same result.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting. I just logged into my gmail to try it there and when I select to attach a file and use my photos, none of the videos are in the camera roll. Not the one I just did, and not the ones that were already on the phone.

I get the followijg options when trying to attach a file with my gmail account:

Take Photo (you can only take a snapshot, no video)
Photo Library (none of your videos show up)
iCloud Drive
Cancel

No way to attach a videp if you go directly to gmail from the Google home page. Since I cannon send from my POP3 address either, I would assume it would be the same story if I logged directly into my pop3 account.

I can't be the only one with this issue, but I can't find any information about it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm. Don't know what's going on with Gmail. Make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of the app, if you are using the app. Clear history and data in Settings > Safari if you are logging in via Safari.

Try reseting your iPhone. Hold down the home and power buttons until the Apple logo apears.

What happens when you choose Try Sending Attachment to the Mail Drop dialog? It should try to send the email using the normal method. As long as it's not bigger than the email account (Gmail?) allows, it should go.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I found more information. Finally found this questiin posed on an Apple forum site. Someone postd that he asked Apple. They said it is a feature of 9.2 - Mail Drop is use for large attachments so they do not compress files. He told them it is not a feature, it should be an option and went on to say why. Then another person discovered that if you attach from within an email, and not from the photos by selecting the video and choosing to email it, it will be compressed and be emailed.

So, you now have to start the email first, touch the screen to get the option to attach a video or photo and select what you want to email. It will compress, you can see the blue compressing bar, and you can then mail it. I emailed one a little over a minute long. I used to just select thw video in the photos and go from there. I will just start the email first now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange that it won't work both ways. I'd consider it a bug, but if Apple did not fix it with iOS 9.3, then I'm just confused.

Anyway I'm glad you found a solution, and thank you for sharing it.

I've been using the new ability to attach files from within Mail almost exclusivly since it was available; which is probably why I never noticed the problem. That, and I rarely send videos.

Most reactions

Latest posts