What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No contacts in icloud

Noj53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone please please assist me I have an ipad2 IOS 7.1.1 and I sync with iTunes but no contacts are in my icloud account when I open it on PC all else ,Notesreminders etc are there but contacts are blank.I need to be assisted to get my contacts on the ipad into icloud. I also need directed Please on how to get ipad contact list converted into a csv file of contact any help and direction would be gratefully and thankfully received. I thank you all in anticipation.

Regards Jon

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some questions.

Do you have Contacts turned on in Settings > iCloud?

When you open the Contacts app, tap the Groups button at the top left. Do you see more than one account, and what are the account's names? Choose the accounts and see which one(s) actually contain contacts.

How to get your contacts to you iCloud account is going to depend on these answers.

OP
N

Noj53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some questions.

Do you have Contacts turned on in Settings > iCloud?

When you open the Contacts app, tap the Groups button at the top left. Do you see more than one account, and what are the account's names? Choose the accounts and see which one(s) actually contain contacts.

How to get your contacts to you iCloud account is going to depend on these answers.
Thank you so much yes I have contacts turned on in iCloud settings. When I open groups I have bout 5 email addresses in there but two of them have all contacts but all 5 Are ticked what direction should I take now to possibly get the contacts into icloud on my pc ???

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On the Groups page in the Contacts app, there should be an iCloud account. There is probably also a Local account. (may be named On iPad, or something else local-ish. I don't remember)

When you select just All Contacts under iCloud , do you see any contacts? When you select just All Local, under Local, do you see your contacts. Or are they split between the two accounts.

That said, assuming you have no other accounts listed (like Google, Yahoo, etc) then this is what should work.

Go to Settings > iCloud and turn off Contacts. When it asks, tell it you want to "KEEP" you contacts locally. Be certain on this. If you choose DISCARD you will lose all the contacts currently in your iCloud account. {exact names of the choices may be incorrect.)

Back in the Contacts app make sure all your apps are now in the Local account. The Local account should be the only choice.

Go bacK To Settings > iCloud and turn on Contacts. When it asks, tell it to MERGE the contacts. That should make all your local contacts iCloud contacts. Go back to the Contacts database and check. You should see only one choice, iCloud:

Again, if my description of your choices in the Groups page in Contacts is wrong, don't do this. Instead give me as accurate a description as you can of what groups you have: Better yet, attache a screenshot. You should be able to do that after your third post.

In case you do not know, a screenshot is created by pressing the power and home button at the same time. The resulting image will be stored in the camera roll of the Photos app. You can (and should) use the free Skitch app to obscure any personal information in the image.

Here is a screenshot of my groups page. I've temporarily added my Gmail account, so that you can see what multiple accounts look like.

ContactAccounts.png

OP
N

Noj53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the Groups page in the Contacts app, there should be an iCloud account. There is probably also a Local account. (may be named On iPad, or something else local-ish. I don't remember)

When you select just All Contacts under iCloud , do you see any contacts? When you select just All Local, under Local, do you see your contacts. Or are they split between the two accounts.

That said, assuming you have no other accounts listed (like Google, Yahoo, etc) then this is what should work.

Go to Settings > iCloud and turn off Contacts. When it asks, tell it you want to "KEEP" you contacts locally. Be certain on this. If you choose DISCARD you will lose all the contacts currently in your iCloud account. {exact names of the choices may be incorrect.)

Back in the Contacts app make sure all your apps are now in the Local account. The Local account should be the only choice.

Go bacK To Settings > iCloud and turn on Contacts. When it asks, tell it to MERGE the contacts. That should make all your local contacts iCloud contacts. Go back to the Contacts database and check. You should see only one choice, iCloud:

Again, if my description of your choices in the Groups page in Contacts is wrong, don't do this. Instead give me as accurate a description as you can of what groups you have: Better yet, attache a screenshot. You should be able to do that after your third post.

In case you do not know, a screenshot is created by pressing the power and home button at the same time. The resulting image will be stored in the camera roll of the Photos app. You can (and should) use the free Skitch app to obscure any personal information in the image.

Here is a screenshot of my groups page. I've temporarily added my Gmail account, so that you can see what multiple accounts look like.

View attachment 57978

OP
N

Noj53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again thank you for your patience and direction etc i did s advised previous and only got some of my contacs into icloud so my contacts are between a few account so what do i need to do to possibly merge all accounts in to icloud

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 228

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with "My Live", but I'd check their website service and see if they have an export option for you contacts. You'll want a CardDAV file. Once you have that you can email the file to yourself,. Tap and hold it in Mail and you should get an option to import the contact. Make sure you have iCloud set up as your default Contact account in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars before you do the the import.

If you can't do that, you can do something a bit more chancy; similar to what I already had you do to combine the Local and iCloud accounts.

Turn off your Contacts data in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; your My Live account and choose to Keep the addresses. When you look back in the Contacts app you should have a local account again. Do the same steps as before to combine the local and iCloud account.

None of these steps will delete the information already stored in your iCloud and My Live accounts; so you can always just turn them back on and re-sync the data you already have.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts