What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Apple TV viewing option with YouTube and IO6?

zbee062

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After loosing the YouTube app when upgrading to IO6 I found YouTube is available through Safari, m.youtube.com etc. These options work fine except that now there is no option to stream the video to AppleTV, or none that I can find. Occasionally I will click on a link that appears to bring up an old version of YouTube that has the AppleTV streaming option and it works. Has anyone figured out how to stream youtube to AppleTV with IO6?

OP
Z

zbee062

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, just found that the youplayer app works like the old YouTube and includes an AppleTV streamer icon.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ATV streaming

Both the new ""YouTube and "Jasmine" apps, available on the Apple Apps Store, work fine with streaming to ATV.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can get the mobile YouTube site to AirPlay.

Go to the multitask bar by double clicking the Home Button or using the four finger swipe up. Swipe right to get to the controls that are to the left of the icons. If you re AppleTV (or other alternate output device) is available you will see a blue rectangle with trangle under it. Tap this and choose your AppleTV. Do not turn on mirroring.

Now tap the Home Button or four finger swipe down to get back the site. Now, when you tap on a video and it starts to play it should go to the AppleTV. You'll get a grey placeholder screen on the iPad letting you know it's going out to AirPlay.

I dont have an AppleTV, so I tested with the AirPlay app Reflections on my Mac; but it should work the same.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Another way to do this is to use the Remote app to control the Apple TV and do the browsing directly in the YouTube app on the Apple TV itself. The benefit is that the Remote app invokes the keyboard whenever text input is required on the Apple Tv.

At the same time, you free up your device to do something else while the video is playing...

OP
Z

zbee062

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies, there are ways to view YouTube on ATV with IO6 as described above. I am still confused over the fact that clicking on some YouTube links opens up a viewer that does not have the ATV icon at the bottom and some do. For those that do not, I can copy the link and paste it into one of the viewers that I know work but that is a couple of extra steps.

Most reactions