What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newsweek to go All-Digital and End Print Publication

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Newsweek.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on some staggering news from Newsweek, which has announced that it is to close its print edition in 2013, and go digital-only. The news was broken by editor-in-chief Tina Brown and CEO Baba Shetty today, via a post on The Daily Beast. In the announcement, Brown and Shetty say that the closure of the print edition is as a result of the “challenging economics of print publishing and distribution.†AppleInsider notes that Newsweek’s iPad app is the 45th (at time of writing) most popular free app on the iPad App Store, and 37th Top Grossing. However, it hasn’t had very good reviews, with many users saying that it crashes a lot. Obviously the Newsweek team will be putting even more of their efforts into making the app a success once the print version closes. AppleInsider writes that a recent survey estimated that iPad users spend $70,000 per day on average on Newsstand content.

Source: Newsweek to cease print edition, go digital-only with iPad & other platforms

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An end of an era. As we get further into this digital tech age we are going to see an end of printed material to make wave for digi material.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I heard this on the radio this morning. I remember before the iPad and the e-reader, I loved reading mags/newspapers and catalogs. I can read most anything now on the iPad, but still enjoy reading the newspaper on paper and the crinkly sound it makes! ...but yes, soon everything will be digital.

Tsolie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone else have problems with The Daily Beast links not completely downloading to your iPad before Safari quits? I at first thought this was a problem with the digital Newsweek, but it also happens independent of Newsweek.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Yes, I heard this on the radio this morning. I remember before the iPad and the e-reader, I loved reading mags/newspapers and catalogs. I can read most anything now on the iPad, but still enjoy reading the newspaper on paper and the crinkly sound it makes! ...but yes, soon everything will be digital.

One good thing about the digital edition of your local newspaper, the paperboy can't throw it into the bushes or leave it on the porch to get soaked in the rain.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One good thing about the digital edition of your local newspaper, the paperboy can't throw it into the bushes or leave it on the porch to get soaked in the rain.

We have them put it into our newspaper slot in our mail box. So we don't have that issue anymore, thankfully!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
We have them put it into our newspaper slot in our mail box. So we don't have that issue anymore, thankfully!

Another great thing about the digital newspaper editions, you don't have to put in a vacation stop when you're out of town. Your digital newspaper is always there, waiting to be read, no matter where in the world you are.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another great thing about the digital newspaper editions, you don't have to put in a vacation stop when you're out of town. Your digital newspaper is always there, waiting to be read, no matter where in the world you are.

Now that is true!!

Most reactions