What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newstand

Status
Not open for further replies.

moporpail

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two items - How to delete a magazine in the stand ( thought the app magazine was free - NOT), and I have an electronic subscription to Time and app already installed. anyway I can move it to newstand ?

thanks

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The standard "hold until it wiggles" and then delete should work to remove a magazine from the Newsstand. When I installed IOS 5 it moved my Popular Mechanics app from my Books folder into the Newsstand all by itself. You should be able to move items into and out of Newsstand as you see fit.

danielgfreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bimjo said:
You should be able to move items into and out of Newsstand as you see fit.

One would think, but sadly no. I have several magazine subscriptiom apps that simply will not go into Newsstand. It would be slick to be able to port my Zinio rags in as well.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's the deal with "Newsstand." I hate this thing so keep that in mind.

() Apple has negotiated contracts with several publishers to put their publications into "Newsstand." These include all of the Conde Nast publications as well as others, e.g. New York Times.

() A user cannot eliminate the "Newsstand" or put it into another folder. Like other apps forced on the user by Apple it cannot be eliminated. And since it's a folder it cannot be placed in another folder. (Another of iOS's annoying limitations.) If you don't want to look at an empty set of shelves your only option is to stick it on that back page you never look at.

() If you happen to subscribe to a publication that is part of a Newsstand contract, that subscription will go into the Newsstand "folder." You cannot move it out. (I know this because I've had a subscription to the New Yorker, a Conde Nast publication, for a long time and it's now stuck in Newsstand.)

() If you subscribe to a publication that is not part of a Newsstand contract, (e.g. Washington Post) you cannot put it into "Newsstand." Nor can you put any other "news" app such as Flipboard into Newsstand. Or any other app (e.g. The Onion) for that matter.

() Apple is dedicated to providing a magical, convenient experience for their users unless they can make a buck off of making it inconvenient and annoying.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You really need to switch to a non-Apple product. Your hatred for Apple makes it impossible for you to be taken seriously at all any more.

There is nothing insidious about the Newsstand. It will be loved by millions, and these people will love it for the convenience of having all their stuff organized for them.

Apple made agreements with large publishers because it's the best way to have content instantly available.

We developed a subscription app for one of our smaller customers and they have now asked us to support the Newsstand with their magazine. I contacted Apple and they were extremely helpful. We will be in the Newsstand very soon as a result.

It's a nice feature, on a device that appeals to millions of users BECAUSE Apple makes it easy and intuitive.

You want something you can muck with and make it your personal device with layers of nested folders, renamed apps and everything customized to your sec, please, switch to a rooted Android device, cause iOS will never make you happy.

-t

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
danielgfreeman said:
One would think, but sadly no. I have several magazine subscriptiom apps that simply will not go into Newsstand. It would be slick to be able to port my Zinio rags in as well.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Contact the developer and ask them to support the Newsstand. It's not difficult. We are moving one of our subscription apps over now.

-t

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You really need to switch to a non-Apple product. Your hatred for Apple makes it impossible for you to be taken seriously at all any more.

There is nothing insidious about the Newsstand. It will be loved by millions, and these people will love it for the convenience of having all their stuff organized for them.

Apple made agreements with large publishers because it's the best way to have content instantly available.

We developed a subscription app for one of our smaller customers and they have now asked us to support the Newsstand with their magazine. I contacted Apple and they were extremely helpful. We will be in the Newsstand very soon as a result.

It's a nice feature, on a device that appeals to millions of users BECAUSE Apple makes it easy and intuitive.

You want something you can muck with and make it your personal device with layers of nested folders, renamed apps and everything customized to your sec, please, switch to a rooted Android device, cause iOS will never make you happy.

-t

Oh, puleeeze. I didn't say it was "insidious." I said it was inconvenient and unwanted. I don't want to "muck" with it. I want to get rid of it. Apple didn't "make agreements with large publishers because it's the best way to have content instantly available." The "content" I received from the New Yorker was "instantly available" without it being abducted and held hostage by "Newsstand." They made agreements with large publishers to make a buck. The "convenience" Newsstand provides for me is to have two separate folders for news content, divided not according to any logical distinction but according to the deals Apple has struck with publishers. There was nothing "unintuitive" or "difficult" about enabling users to decide which applications they wish to group together. To claim that users need "all their stuff organized for them" is simply ridiculous.

I'm perfectly willing to put up with the rigid and somewhat inconvenient design of the iPad UI. It's not imaginative or attractive but it works relatively well. In this case, however, they haven't simplified or "organized" anything. They've simply complicated the task of a user who has a set of related news oriented apps.

If you want to defend an obvious attempt on the part of Apple to make things more complicated for their users in order to make a buck, feel free. Just don't dress it up as a service for the benefit of their customers.

Last edited:

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course Apple want to make a buck. Why not? They are huge, and corporate. But they also take the user into consideration in everything they do.

I like Newstand. I like the fact I can get £30 worth of my daily newspaper for £9.99 and I don't have to carry a huge bag to the recycling centre each month. I also like the fact that as a trial of Newstand, my daily newspaper has been offered to me for FREE for three months, saving me £90!

It can also be dropped into another folder, despite popular opinion... Check out the Apple support threads.

When a company makes a product that fifteen million people rush out and buy, they cannot possibly please everyone. That would make us drones. So they try and provide something for everyone. In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if there is a tiny square on your iPad you'll never use? Really?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
If you want to defend an obvious attempt on the part of Apple to make things more complicated for their users in order to make a buck, feel free. Just don't dress it up as a service for the benefit of their customers.

And this is just more anti-Apple drivel. Apple did not make anything more complicated, far from it.

Really, you need to move to Android and quit torturing yourself with Apple's products and their product philosophy. They will NEVER give you what you want. Their target audience loves what they do and Newsstand is no exception.

As for your "make a buck" comment, it's no more expensive to have a subscription service in the Newsstand than it is to have a stand alone subscription app.

I'm sure subscriptions on Android are all free....

-t

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay gang, we've been following this thread and the OP's question has been answered. The rest has degenerated into useless op-ed posts bordering on rules violations. Please be advised that this sort of antagonism is not acceptable and won't be tolerated on this forum. Thanks very much for your cooperation. Rather than issue infractions this thread will be closed.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok let's make sure we stay friendly ok.....

Many newspapers and mags will be updated to support newstand and frankly it makes sense If I go to a news agency as we call it in Australia It is similar to what Apple has provided and all Apple is doing is to make it user friendly. So in all fareness I really donot see what the problem is. I have no problem buying the Sanfranciso Cronicle which I did and having it where it belongs in the newstand. National geographic is fantastic and so is Australian women's weekly which my partner loves. So what is my point. Simple the newstand helps those individuals who really just want plug and play and personally I see nothing wrong with newstand.

And I have been advised that the Australian Newapers will be upgraded to support newstand and I suspect world wide this will be repeated as well so be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts