What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morning - iPad 2 Tastic! Video not so though.....

Jer2224

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there Forum!

My wife got a new iPad 2 16GB for Xmas as a gift, and is enjoying it greatly :D.

However, there is an annoyance with video playback that neither she or I can figure out, and I'd be grateful for advice / solutions. I've had a hunt around, but can't find any relevant posts, so here's my first (re)post.

She has installed BBC iPlayer for iPad, to watch (amongst other things EastEnders - sigh), and was midway through the New Years day episode when the video started cutting out. It would play for a few minutes or a few seconds - then the video would cut out but the audio would continue. To continue, she'd have to stop, close the app, rewind, then replay the video to get the video stream back again. It happens with EastEnders, but other shows on iPlayer as well. Apparently, it also happens when she views iPlayer from within Safari on her iPad (same issue), but not when she uses iPlayer in Safari on her MacBook. Apparently, video also drops on her dad's iPad 1 (same issue). What's annoying is it's not a definable period before the video cuts out, sometimes it's literally a few seconds, other times we watched 45mins of Great Expectations before the video dropped out.

What I have done to address this? Here's the list:
- Updated all the apps to latest versions.
- Restarted the iPad several times.
- Disabled the auto-sleep and auto-lock options in settings.
- Changed the iPlayer video quality to SD from HQ.
- Set the iPad to connect to both our protected wifi networks (MAC access control).
- (There is plenty of bandwidth on our network available - we have 8GB broadband).

Any thoughts on what to do about this? Surely iPlayer on iPad is able to stream without video dropping? Happy to try other suggestions and report back.
Many thanks for any advice in advance.
Cheers.
Jeremy. (husband of iPad owner)

irinasmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jer2224 said:
Hi there Forum!

My wife got a new iPad 2 16GB for Xmas as a gift, and is enjoying it greatly :D.

However, there is an annoyance with video playback that neither she or I can figure out, and I'd be grateful for advice / solutions. I've had a hunt around, but can't find any relevant posts, so here's my first (re)post.

She has installed BBC iPlayer for iPad, to watch (amongst other things EastEnders - sigh), and was midway through the New Years day episode when the video started cutting out. It would play for a few minutes or a few seconds - then the video would cut out but the audio would continue. To continue, she'd have to stop, close the app, rewind, then replay the video to get the video stream back again. It happens with EastEnders, but other shows on iPlayer as well. Apparently, it also happens when she views iPlayer from within Safari on her iPad (same issue), but not when she uses iPlayer in Safari on her MacBook. Apparently, video also drops on her dad's iPad 1 (same issue). What's annoying is it's not a definable period before the video cuts out, sometimes it's literally a few seconds, other times we watched 45mins of Great Expectations before the video dropped out.

What I have done to address this? Here's the list:
- Updated all the apps to latest versions.
- Restarted the iPad several times.
- Disabled the auto-sleep and auto-lock options in settings.
- Changed the iPlayer video quality to SD from HQ.
- Set the iPad to connect to both our protected wifi networks (MAC access control).
- (There is plenty of bandwidth on our network available - we have 8GB broadband).

Any thoughts on what to do about this? Surely iPlayer on iPad is able to stream without video dropping? Happy to try other suggestions and report back.
Many thanks for any advice in advance.
Cheers.
Jeremy. (husband of iPad owner)

Hello Jeremy,

I have the same problem. Pls let me know if you find solution.

Regards Irene

Most reactions