What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie with lots of questions

Tvshooter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've only had my 16GB iPad for a month. Don't get much time on it. I want to tether my Blackberry Bold to my iPad & also get suggestions on accessories (should I get a camera connect kit?). I have an Otterbox for protection with the screen protector & a cheap padded portfolio case to keep it safe.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome...So many accessories to choose from and I'm not familiar with the tethering because it would mess my unlimited data plan up...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I have the camera connect kit but I don't use it much. I generally back up my pictures onto my PC and I have the GoodReader app, which enables me to transfer those pictures via WiFi to the iPad without the need to use iTunes. I guess if you take a lot of pictures or don't want to put them on your PC it would be OK.

I can't comment on the tethering question; in the UK the service providers don't care whether you tether or not - there's simply too much competition for them to try to restrict customers from tethering. If they tried to impose some limit or charge customers extra, people would vote with their feet and move to another service provider.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Also the iPad2 manual is available at the Apple iBooks store. It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome tvshooter! I see you're from New Orleans. I'm from Alexandria, LA and also have an office and apartment in Denham Springs. You've come to the right place to learn about the iPad and it's accessories.

I have been here for a while and like Tim, I learn a whole lot each time I'm on here.

I have the ZaggMate keyboard setup which also covers the iPad when not in use. I HIGHLY recommend it if you will be using it for things like taking lots of notes in class or meetings, or typing Microsoft Office type documents. It works great as a keyboard, is the size of a typical iPad case when you're carrying it around, and has iPad specific keys, like the home button, turn screen on and off, volume, etc...

My other top accessory is the ZooGue case. I have two of them as I loaned one to my stepdad, and some of my coworkers gave me one as a gift when they saw me without one and knew how much I liked it. I use the ZooGue case when I'm just carrying the iPad around for general use or reading in bed, etc...

When I go to class, I use the ZaggMate because it stands the iPad on the desk and offers the keyboard. I use Notes Plus which allows me to take my notes with the keyboard or draw with the stylus on notebook paper, and also records audio of the lecture.

OP
T

Tvshooter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use it mainly on weekends, but sometimes at work, when I'm actually in the office. I'm researching tethering with my blackberry, but I want to be able to tether with my laptop also. I will have to jailbreak my iPad, but there is no jailbreak for iOS 4.3 yet. Blackberrys can use Tether.com or PDAnet.com software for a mobile hotspot, but without Jailbreaking iPad to install ibluever it won't work. I will still try to use laptop that way, until I can jailbreak iPad.

Fairlight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not had my iPad2 more than a few weeks...
.....but already I find camera connection kit works really well to download pictures and view on the screen when out on location. Much easier than usin a laptop.
Photo gene app is also excellent for adjusting them.
I have tethered my iPad2 using my iPhone 3G and Bluetooth.
Hope that is of help from one noob to another!

Most reactions