What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Otterbox case / Zagg screen protector mess

jvradar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same exact situation, except that i did wait for the zagg screen to cure before the otterbox went on. Even so, it is still not impossible to remove the otterbox without damaging it. the key? the otterbox or zagg has to go.one or the other.
the only way is to find a corner of the zagg screen and begin peeling the zagg screen away. Zagg screens are cheaper than the Otterbox cases.
If you reapply a zagg screen do it AFTER you install the otterbox and have it cut to fit the otterbox viewing area.
sorry, but better to loose the zagg screen than the otterbox.
good luck.

The best way to get ahold of the zagg screen is by removing the charging port cover.

Last edited:

Lacerta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently ordered the Defender under the assumption that it had the same screen protector (built in) as my iPhone case. I'm horrible with screen protectors so you can guess what happened next. That's right, I promptly destroyed the included screen protector. Bought an Invisible Shield from Zagg, destroyed it. I bought another and this time I paid the guy at Radio Shack to put the new Zagg on, flawless. The only problem, I'm stuck! Now for reasons I can't explain I panic and cut and pry my into my Defender. Thank god I found this thread, i thought i was the only one, you've all been a big help. Oh, and most impressive of all? I called Otterbox and they're replacing my destroyed Defender, and sending extra screen protectors to practice with. This is how business is to be conducted. Go Otter Box!

Last edited:

Wungdot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had Zagg screen protector installed on front of iPad and months later encased iPad in an Otterbox Defender. Tried to remove Otterbox after several months of use and found iPad was also stuck to the Zagg like the frame and Zagg were bonded together and formed a seal. Watched a Otterbox video demo on how to remove case. Their suggestion was to pull up on circle ring over Apple logo on back of Otterbox to try to release top half of plastic case and after much pulling and pushing, managed to get top pulled off but bottom case was stuck tight. Used forum suggestion and cut a piece of narrow cardboard (business card thickness) into narrow strips and pulled Otterbox frame away from iPad at the top and then carefully slid the cardboard strips back and forth working the cardboard down the sides of the frame in a sawing motion to break the seal between the frame and the Zagg. You have to push and pull the cardboard "rulers" in and out pulling downward. Then wiggled the iPad from side to side until it finally broke loose from the Zagg coating and could be pulled up and out. iPad, Otterbox and Zagg all intact and not damaged but tips of fingers very sore. Did not put iPad back in Otterbox - slid it in to a leather like folio/book case with a cover and then in a padded netbook sleeve for transporting it.

Most reactions

Latest posts