What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie here and lost about upgrading os

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Gar, I'm a non techie guy that owns an I pad. I'm not sure where to post this query that I have in mind. And will appreciate if anyone can direct me to the proper forum or answer the question directly.

I have an iPad 1st gen running on iOS 4.2.1. I missed th updates from apple to upgrade the os to 4.3.3 and I want to upgrade my iPad to that particular version. (my iPad is not jail broken).

Can I download the 4.3.3 Ipsw and restore using the downloaded file via iTunes?

dominohsky1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You just need to plug in your iPad and check for updates , if u want a certin vers I haven't found a way to do that yet

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
G

Gar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NEWBIE lost in upgrading IOS

What is a blob?

sorry the idea sounds so foreign to me.

I don't want 4.3.5 as what the message i see from iTunes this morning thats why i'm looking for a quickie action for the upgrade (unofficial) to 4.3.3

thank you The Rambler and Dom for the quick replies

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you don't have SHSH blobs saved for iOS version 4.3.3, you cannot load/use that version on your iPad.

There simply is no way.

Marilyn

dominohsky1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updating is the best way to keep ur iPad up to date and speed

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
G

Gar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn,

I saw your post here:

net/ipad-hacking/32983-4-2-1-4-3-3-jailbreak-sn0wbreeze-redsn0w

Was it done possible because your iPad was previously updated with IOS 4.3.3 or because it was jailbroken?

If i jailbreak my unit, would it be possible?

Thank you for your assistance.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An iPad2 can only be jailbroken if it's on iOS 4.3.3. If you're on an earlier version of iOS it is not possible to upgrade to this version because the current version is 4.3.5 and Apple won't allow upgrades to earlier versions.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - then there's a tethered JB for iOS 4.3.5 - but tethered only and only for the iPad1.

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn,

I saw your post here:

net/ipad-hacking/32983-4-2-1-4-3-3-jailbreak-sn0wbreeze-redsn0w

Was it done possible because your iPad was previously updated with IOS 4.3.3 or because it was jailbroken?

If i jailbreak my unit, would it be possible?

Thank you for your assistance.

In a way, neither. At that time, Apple was still signing iOS version 4.3.3, so all I had to do was run that sn0wbreeze jailbreak (it built the custom IPSW with 4.3.3 and the jailbreak - a combo, if you will).

If I had wanted to merely upgrade, then all I would have had to do was restore the iPad (via iTunes) to 4.3.3. Again, that was because Apple was still signing 4.3.3 (although, I was saving blobs at that point...).

Your problem is that Apple is no longer signing 4.3.3. And, you didn't save those blobs. So, you cannot use that version, neither stock or jailbroke. Cannot.

If you want to upgrade your iOS 4.2.1, you're only option is to upgrade to iOS 4.3.5 - the most current iOS supported by Apple. Then, as Tim mentioned, you can then jail break it, should you wish, with redsn0w. However, that's only if you have an iPad1 (which you do) and it will be a tethered jail break; which means that every time you have to reboot it, you must do so with it connected to your computer.

Sorry 'bout that. Bad timing...

Marilyn

OP
G

Gar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upgrade ios 4.2.1 to 4.3.3

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. So it's possible by jailbreaking the unit first with the current ios release, then jailbreak the unit, and then... Downgrade to ios 4.3.3 even i didnt use the ios version on my ipad. Means i dkwnload the ipsw from iclarified.

Please correct me if im wrong.

Thank you

Gary

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. You do not have SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3.3. You cannot downgrade to that version; you cannot use that version. Cannot. Cannot. Cannot.

Sorry, Gar, but your question has been asked and answered numerous times in this thread.

Your options have been given to you. Asking again about 4.3.3 is not going to change the answer.

This thread is closed.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions