What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Has Questions About iTunes and iPad

Mike4AU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am fairly computer literate, but I do not know squat about an iPad, nor iTunes. I just lucked out and bought an iPad 2 and it is set to arrive on 3/30. My son has an iPod and has an iTunes account already. He uses gift cards to fund his purchases. I think that it would be best if I set up my own iTunes account, mainly because I would not want him having access to my credit card. If I go this route, would I also be able to use some of his apps or music?

Any help will be appreciated, including getting some info on "how to get started" in the iPad world.

Thanks

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mike! Welcome, from Cali! You can get started by reading my links below ~ grab some popcorn.:D

As far as your iTunes questions, someone else will have to chime in ~I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.:)

OP
M

Mike4AU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will check out the user guide that you have listed. I hope to see some responses on my iTunes question. Perhaps after working hours, people will chime in.

Thanks

Reaction score
Dear Mike,

The best thing you could do is setup a new account with your email and credit card. But then you can also ask your son to activate his iTunes account on your PC, so essentially iTunes has both, your's and your son's account. That way your iPad can play all content purchased on either account.

It is worth noting, that music can only be downloaded once from iTunes, so if you want to add your son's music, you would have to copy it directly to your hard drive and then import the music via iTunes.

Regarding apps, yes, you can also use his apps, but you have to make sure that when you redownload apps (this is free of charge) that your son' account is used. You can easily check this by looking on the top right hand corner in the iTunes Store, it will show an email address, if it is yours, sign out and ask your son to sign in, you can then download all apps he purchased for free.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you are in the same house/building. If so you can use the new Home Share feature to share your music libraries with each other. This will only work while you are at home on the same wireless network, so it's not good for out and about.

OP
M

Mike4AU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone, thanks for the helpful info. I think I am starting to understand. Given that my son will be going off to college after next year, I am just going to set up my own iTunes account.

Nice new toy on the way to me!

Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts