What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

newb keyboard question

markcd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to use my iPad 2 (using Safari) to do the crossword on the Guardian UK website here:

guardian.co.uk/crosswords/quick/12812
(sorry - can't post link properly)

When I try and enter an answer, the keyboard pops up, but only allows me to type 1 letter before disappearing. If I use a desktop, then it works fine. Am I doing something dumb, or would it work with a different browser?

Thanks - and 1st post - so be gentle!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

I saw your problem with the Guardian crossword puzzle. Do you have this problem on any other websites? Before getting into complicated possible solutions, can we try something really simple to begin with that often solves a whole load of problems? Turn your iPad completely off - i.e. press and hold the Power switch (the one you normally press briefly to put the iPad to 'sleep') and wait until a slider control appears (just a couple of seconds) asking for confirmation that you really want to switch off (that's all your doing, so no big deal!). Slide the slider to agree to turn off. A rotating white bezel will appear on the screen as the iPad powers down. Once the screen has gone completely blank and the bezel has disappeared, switch on again by pressing and holding the Power switch until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will then power up - it takes several seconds, so have patience. Just before the power up is complete the iPad will play a little 'jingle' and, a few seconds later, you're back to your normal power-on screen, where you have to slide that control to go to the Home screen. Then see, if you try the crossword again, whether the problem persists. If it does, get back to us and we'll suggest some other possibilities. Good Luck..

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
M

markcd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

thanks for the speedy reply!

I've tried powering off/on and it still does it. It only seems to be on this particular website - and I think it may be something to do with Javascript. If I turn off Javascript in Settings / Safari, then the keyboard doesn't pop up at all, so it looks like it's using Java for that....

Not got any further than that though...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't suppose you have another keyboard - say a Bluetooth keyboard, or the Apple keyboard dock - that you could try?

Tim

OP
M

markcd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oddly enough I do.

My GF has an Apple bluetooth kb that she uses with her Macbook. It does it with that connected too...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK -- the mystery deepens. But what happens with the Bluetooth keyboard? Since that clearly doesn't 'disappear' when you try to enter a word into the crossword? Does it just not let you enter any further letters? What happens if you reposition the cursor again after the first letter you've entered? Can you then enter a second letter or does the crossword refuse to accept a further letter?

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I've just tried it and I find that it works OK if I enter a letter at a time...i.e. touch the first little square - enter a letter - the keyboard disappears. Now touch the next square of the word and the keyboard re-appears and you can enter the next letter. Tedious.....but it works OK.

Tim

OP
M

markcd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for checking for me - but I can't really see my being able to do a whole crossword like that..

Are there any other browsers that might interpret the Javascript differently?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, you could try iSwifter because it's free for 5 minutes per session - that would enable you to tell if that browser was going to be any better for no cost. Then, if it worked OK, you could purchase the unlimited version.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I thought The Guardian had an app. I can't see it in the US store (no surprise), but you might check uot thr UK store. Several US newspaper apps have their crossword puzzles in the app. The Guardian (if the app exists) may too.

Most reactions