What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York City Coffee Shop Uses iPad As Cash Register

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vftONArH4Q[/ame]​

If you happen to be in New York City and anywhere near Grand Central Terminal and you fancy a coffee, then why not go and check out what may well be one of the very first iPad cash registers at a well-known coffee shop in the area (in Graybar passage off Lexington Avenue) called Joe, as featured on Cult Of Mac. The iPad cash register has been introduced into the coffee shop by ShopKeep.com who have previously designed Mac and PC point-of-sale apps. Aside from looking cool and being a bit of a talking point, the iPad cash register prints out receipts, transmits sales to BackOffice on the web enabling real-time tracking of sales, and even makes a nice tinkling sound when you ring up a sale.

According to ShopKeep.com, the iPad app has been primarily designed for coffee shops, bakeries, small cafes and any small, quick-serve retail environments.

Source: iPad Cash Register Arrives at Grand Central Coffee Shop | Cult of Mac

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, this would be killer in a restaurant! A server could literally enter the order from the table! No more, oops I forgot to place that...since there would be no more paper failure and at the end of the night everything should line up fine. Brilliant!

Just would need a rugged case so it can get spills and take falls to be grabbed on the way to the table.

Jaws3288

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.epforums.org
Wow, this would be killer in a restaurant! A server could literally enter the order from the table! No more, oops I forgot to place that...since there would be no more paper failure and at the end of the night everything should line up fine. Brilliant!

Just would need a rugged case so it can get spills and take falls to be grabbed on the way to the table.

Would be awesome, but imagine the price of this for 15 or so servers at each restaurant? That's roughly $8,000 without the software. Cool, yes, but wouldn't be efficient for profits. It's cheaper for just pen and paper.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$8000 is a small amount to invest in efficiency. Both in order/transactions, but in inventory/sales tracking.

If I were to open up a small business similar to the one described above, I'd go the same route.

Jaws3288

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.epforums.org
$8000 is a small amount to invest in efficiency. Both in order/transactions, but in inventory/sales tracking.

If I were to open up a small business similar to the one described above, I'd go the same route.

Not too sure. I feel there's a cheaper alternative to this rather than spending roughly 500 dollars a piece for a piece of equipment that can fall and shatter in one drop.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It would be more practical to do it with an iPod Touch like they do in certain Apple stores. It's easier to stash one in an apron or shirt pocket... just sayin'!

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not too sure. I feel there's a cheaper alternative to this rather than spending roughly 500 dollars a piece for a piece of equipment that can fall and shatter in one drop.

Otterbox! ;)

Actually, there a more than a few restaurants around the world using iPads:

ipad-restaurant-menu-580x326.jpg

0.jpg

iPad used in restaurant - Google Search

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&q=iPads+used+in+restaurants&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=]iPads used in restaurants - Google Search[/ame]

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com

Insurance would more than take care of this issue.

However, I do agree that the Touch would be better served for the Servers. There is a spot where I live called Tumbleweed (not sure how big the chain is) that used Palm devices at the tables to put in orders - to my knowledge they are still using them. I don't go often.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Insurance would more than take care of this issue.

However, I do agree that the Touch would be better served for the Servers. There is a spot where I live called Tumbleweed (not sure how big the chain is) that used Palm devices at the tables to put in orders - to my knowledge they are still using them. I don't go often.

Long ago when I worked in restaurants I used a PDA to take orders...but it would have been especially useful to have them go to the kitchen from the table!

An iPad would be more easily organized than a Touch tho. Plus you could use it to show the desert menu or get info on wines etc, and display items on the big screen to patrons. It's efficiency and a wow factor.

Most reactions