What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New user

djkrein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I am brand new to this forum and was hoping someone could answer a question. I have been trying to print
From my I-pad to an HP C8180 printer. Does not work and get a message that says no air printer. Does this m
Mean I need a newer printer?

Appreciate the help

Darlene

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Darlene - welcome to the forum! :) Air Print is Apple's wireless technology for printing from the iPad to a 'compatible' printer - check HERE for an explanation; also, scroll down to the bottom for a link to compatible printers - your HP model does not seem to be on the list.

But not to worry, there are other options; the one I am using for my Canon Pixma printer is called FingerPrint (Collobos Software) - cost is $10; requires downloading a small program to the computer (not the iPad) attached to the printer; printing can then be performed from the iPad over your Wi-Fi network.

I just added a Brother laser printer to my computer and now I have the option from the iPad to choose which printer I want - works great!Good luck - others may 'chime in' w/ other suggestions, but 'bottom line' is that you do not need to purchase an Air Print printer unless desired - :thumbs:

OP
D

djkrein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you that's good to know. I may still get a new one but will try this option first.

bltgmorton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Canon Pixma printer as well and I am wondering if I download the FingerPrint software onto my computer if I will still be able to print wirelessly to my printer (from my IPad) without my computer being on? Thanks for the info!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a Canon Pixma printer as well and I am wondering if I download the FingerPrint software onto my computer if I will still be able to print wirelessly to my printer (from my IPad) without my computer being on? Thanks for the info!

Hi Bltgmorton - welcome to the forum! :)

The FingerPrint program runs on your computer, thus the machine needs to be on - but please let us know what your specific needs may be, especially regarding NOT wanting the computer running - may be other solutions - good luck!

Most reactions