What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to iPad -- keyboard and shell prompt?

Bkorb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an apple Keyboard connected via USB. The iPad doesn't,t see it. I cannot type well with this terrible virtual keyboard. How do I use my real USB keyboard?

Also,it would be really, really nice to be able to access a shell prompt. How do I do that?

thank you!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 30-pin connector on the iPad is not really designed to allow for the use of USB keyboards. It's rare if someone gets one to work. However, a lot of people have had great success with Bluetooth keyboards. Perhaps you could look into getting one of those?

And, there is no way to access the main file system on a stock iPad. They are not designed, by Apple, for that type of access. The only way to access the full system and its files is to jail break it.

Marilyn

oravn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Logitch Keyboard by ZAPP. An excelent keyboard With Norwegians layout. Therese keybord is also a protestbevegelse case when traveling.

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can connect some USB keyboards to the "Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit", this is an unsupported feature, it may or may not work with your keyboard.
As has been mentioned a Bluetooth keyboard would be best.

OP
B

Bkorb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best would be to be able to use one of my many USB keyboards through a powered hub that connects to the ipad.
(Which I have.) It sounds like best is not available, so if I want something resembling a real keyboard, then it
means buy another keyboard. (Or jailbreak the thing and add an after market driver for a non-bluetooth keyboard.)
Jail breaking is starting to sound appealing, though, since you cannot use auxiliary disk drives
or much of anything else either. Thank you!

Most reactions