What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to ipad and everything Mac

Stone Dude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have grown up on Windows computers. I have always used computers for the internet, basic dosuments, calendars etc. I just started a business last week after working for my dad pretty much forever. I was thinking about buyin an iPad for my business, but dont know if it is the right purchase. I am looking for some advice.

my existing stuff:

1. HP PC at home with windows Vista
2. Gateway Netbook with windows 7
3. Blackberry Bold

I need to update the PC to windows 7 so they can sync with each other. My netbook is slow on the internet but tolerable. It is VERY slow running multiple programs.

I have some questions.

1. It says the iPad is compatible with PC's. Does this mean I can sync files ith my PC? Will it be a pain in the butt

2. Will the iPad sync with a Blackberry? I cant switch carriers for quite some time.

3. how is the iPad for everyday business? I would use it for showing clients a photo portfolio, scheduling, storing client contact information, creating invoices, typing proposals, paypal etc. Is the ipad a good choice for this type of stuff?

I am sure I will have more questions soon. Please forgive me if the questions are stupid, I have been stuck in my PC bubble forever and see the potential with the Mac products.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no idea how old you are, but what has happened with Windows over the years is it became more like a Mac. If you ever worked with Windows 3.2.1 you'd understand what I meant.

So if you can work with Windows, you can work with Mac. An iPad resembles a Mac in certain areas like in the settings, what you might call the control panel. But iPad is really totally different from a computer.

What you would need for your PC is to download iTunes. All the magic comes from iTunes just like it was an iPod.

Now as far as PC assesibility you would use an app like ZumoCast to access your files on your PC. I can't answer about documents, I'm certain that there are apps available for any kind of PC document, word, excel, etc.

For everyday business it would not only handle your work, it will impress the people that you show it to..

It will work with any wifi network..

Now about your phone. Blackberry IMHO is a 20th century phone. It's still great with email but whether or not it will sync up with your Bold, I don't know. I have a Drod 2 and I have it syched up with my Droid so more then likely unless Rim has something against mac then I imagine you could.

I strongly suggest you purchase a Mac wireless keyboard it's just that much eseir to work with,

Hope you enjoy it don't be afraid, Applle rocks. Soon you'll be wanting All apple products because for the first time eve ryou will see how great Apple products are.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes for PC is the link with the iPad. As long as you have iTunes, it can perform all the syncing needed. You should also be able to move mp3 files from your PC to iTunes and easily convert them to AAC format. The iPad will not sync with a Blackberry. The Blackberry is not a computer. The iPhone, nor any other phones will sync with an iPad. If you want to use the iPad on the internet, it needs a 3G model, or a 3G wifi hub from your carrier. The issue of separate carriers is generally not an issue. I think many people are like me, they have their cell phone service and a separate data plan for the iPad.

Business use for the iPad is usually great, but not complete. As use of the iPad grows, more and more applications will be developed for it. I do not know if typing proposals would be efficient on this, but they could be displayed on it. Paypal might have an app, but I do not know. The rest should be easily done on this.

OP
S

Stone Dude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can sync my blackberry with my PC and netbook if I have to so I can live with that.

I have had Itunes for quite some time on my PC and converted all my cd's and put them in iTunes. I have never used iTunes for anything other than music, but Im sure I can figure it out.

I am 27, but I only know the absolute basics of computers. I am not versed in office, excell etc. I am very good at my work, but now its time to handle the business part of it. I have a lot of learning to do, and it seems all signs point to Mac. Im just kind of in a comfort zone right now but I think its time to break away and explore other options.

does it make sense to get a iPad as a stepping stone into the Mac world? My parents my give me my sisters old Macbook, maybe 3-4 years old. Would this be worth having or is the system and technology way past that point?

I think its inevitable I will get an iPad, but Im wondering if now is the right time.

iPadBiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Start with the iPad. There is never a bad time to get one. I am basically a PC user (my company operates on PC) however the iPad exists very nicely side by side. As a business tool it's an amazing tool.

Make sure to check out dropbox. It almost acts as a "my documents" for your iPad that can sync via the cloud to other devices including your PC.

Good luck on the business startup!!

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have both, and while I prefer the Mac hardware, I still would go Windows all things being equal. On the other hand, iOS is just genious for a mobile device.

The iTunes experience is 100% the same on Windows and Mac, so don't worry about that.

As far as business goes, get yourself a ToDo app, syncs your calendar to Exchange or Google, some Note Taking apps (you'll probably try a few before deciding) and a general 'store stuff' app like GoodReader and the business potential is enormous. Imagine (I do this) being able to show your proposal or brochures in a very cool device that is easy to use and has all the cool factor - your company and products are, therefore, cool by proxy!

I can't recommend any Office editing apps just yet because the user experience is just poo. I use iWorks for iPad when I have to really generate some quick content. Your not going to be writing War and Peace, or making that massive presentation or proposal, but for quick edits and displaying said proposal - wonderful!

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keynote does a great job of editing and presenting PowerPoint presentations. I use docs 2 go to sync all my PC files to my iPad and can or edit them in pages and numbers as well.

Most reactions