What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to iPad and Calendar

ssteiny348

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got an ipad 3 and love it so far. Here is my question.

I use google calendar for my business website. I want to bascially sync it to my ipad as a one way sync. I want to see all my business calendar items on my ipad, but not have my personal items hit my business calendar as it is posted to a website.

Any way to do this?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Set your works gmail account up as an exchange account. Google Sync for your phone

Set your default calendar on the iphone as not your works account. Settings - Mail contacts and calendars - Scroll down to Calendar section - Default Calendar.

intro2ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That link debref supplied should do the trick (or even more specifically), but just adding that you can indeed choose to sync just in one direction to your google account from your work computer. So your work stuff will appear in your iPad calendar, but you can choose not to have other stuff sync back to your work computer.

-
Dale
intro2ipad.com - "Video tutorials for your iPad: a beginners guide" - iPad app

OP
S

ssteiny348

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did what you said, but I cannot find where to select what I want to sync. There was no "default calendar" item in calendars.

I added an appt on my ipad and it showed on my google calendar which i dont want. I added an appt on my google calendar and it shows on my ipad which I want.

Sorry for this, but i know it's possible and I must just be missign something simple.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Are you sure you looked in the right place for default calendar. Its not within the calendar app itself. Its Settings - Mail contacts and calendars - Scroll down to Calendar section - Default Calendar.

OP
S

ssteiny348

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
Are you sure you looked in the right place for default calendar. Its not within the calendar app itself. Its Settings - Mail contacts and calendars - Scroll down to Calendar section - Default Calendar.

Here is what I see

image-819757143.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You will only see the Default Calendar setting if you have more than one calendar set up in Calendars.

You can do this several ways.

You can create a second calendar in Google, a personal one, so you can enter stuff there that does not show up in the business calendar. If you look at the instructions DefBref gave you, or even better the link provided by intro2iPad you'll see instruction on how to sync multiple GMail calendars with your iPad. It involves visiting Google's mobile sync site on the iPad, and selecting the calendars to sync. Once you do this you can choose the Default calendar so that iPad entries go to that calendar (unless you specify otherwise).

You can create a different account all together, an iCloud account. Use that account for your personal calendar, and select it as the default in settings.

Both of these will still let you enter events in your business (google) calendar if you want to.

If you are determined to stop that and have the google calendar view only for some reason, like keeping the kids from messing with it, then turn off your calendars in your Goolgle account settings on the iPad.

Go to your Google Calendar site and go to the settings of the calendar you want. At the bottom of the settings page you will see a Private Address box. Click on the green ICAL button. Copy and Paste the address it gives you to an email, and send it to the iPad.

When you receive the email tap an hold on the address, then choose Open from the popup menu. This will subscribe to the calendar.

It will now show up under the Subscribed heading when you tap the Calendar button in the Calendar app. You will also see a new account called Subscribed Calendars under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. This is where you should go to delete the calendar if you no longer want it, or made a mistake.

The calendar will be read only. You will not be able to add events on the iPad, and it will not show up as a choice when you try to set a Default calendar.

If you only subscribe to the calendar as I've described, you will probably end up with a default local calendar on the iPad. It will show up under a Local header under the Calendars button in the Calendar app. I don't recommend you leave it this way. You'll want the calendar to sync somewhere so that you have a backup in case the iPad burps and loses your events.

You can either do this using iCloud, or you can create that personal calendar on Google, go through the Google calendar sync methods mentioned above, make sure the Google calendar you want to use is not selected to sync, then turn on your calendar syncing back on in your iPad's Google account settings.

It might take a bit of experimenting to get things just the way you want, but it can be done.

Last edited:

Deborah Barnum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad calendar entries just vanished. Most of them. I rebooted. Nothing. I closed it, and re-opened. Still nothing. Thoughts?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware. But I checked in settings, and tried iCloud, but still nothing appeared in the calendar.

Have you checked to make sure the calendar is set to view? Tap on the Calendar button at the top left, and make sure your calendar has a checkmark next to it.

With iCloud, some people have found that their events won't show until the switch to another month, then back again.

Deborah Barnum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep. Calendar is set to view. Some of my events are still displayed. Events that were put on months ago. Also, I have had to switch months to bring up the data, but that doesn't work now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to icloud.com using a computer and see if your events are there. If they are there, turn off Calendar on the iPad in Settings > iCloud, tell the dialog to Delete them from the iPad, then turn the Calendar syncing back on. This will force a fresh copy from iCloud.

If they are missing from both the iPad and icloud.com, then they are probably gone forever.

You need to have an internet connection on the iPad to do this.

Deborah Barnum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, the iCloud site on the computer has fewer events than the one on my iPad. I'm sunk, I guess. Why did this happen, if you know? Will it do any good to go to my Apple Store? Are there other surprises in store with this syndrome? I failed to mention I'm on a first edition iPad, but I have a new MacBook Pro.

Most reactions

Latest posts