What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to Google Calendar Sync - only 1 way working

rrachlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First time iPad user, so please bear with me!

Goal: Share calendars b/t my iPad and my wife's iPhone 4...seems easy in theory!

My thought was to have a google account for each of us, have those google accounts synced w/our stock calendars, and then share those google accounts w/each other...

I have Exchange at work, and set that up so that all my calendar items show up on my iPad, and any entries I make in each appear instantly in the other - so far, so good.

I then set up an gmail account, and added that gmail account to my iPad calendar - any entry I make in gmail appears instantly in my iPad, but nothing is going the other way...my gmail calendar is blank - previous entires that are on my iPad calendar (orig set up on my Outlook on my desktop) don't appear, and if I make a entry directly on my iPad, it doesn't appear on my google calendar. So - it looks like I have one way sync set up, and I'd like 2 way so that I can then go to the last step and share that google calendar w/my wife.

I've tried using the
1. the gmail setup,
2. the CalDAV setup, and
3. the Exhange setup (using m.google.com for the server)

All of these seem to have the exact same result: one-way sync from google to iPad, and nothing from the iPad to the google calendar...so I'm guessing I'm missing some big step to allow google calendar to receive IPad entries.

Any help / insight anyone has would be VERY welcomed, as I can't believe I'm the only one that is trying to do this!!! Thanks!!!

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Sounds like you have the default calendar setup on your ipad to the ipad calendar so all your entries on the ipad are not going to your google calendar. Change it to your gmail account. Settings - Mail, contacts and calendars - scroll down to calendar section - default calendar

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First, use the Exchange setup for both iPads, as you already have.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help

On Google's website share the calendars between your two accounts (in each calendar's settings) using whatever permissions you want for each calendar. Each person needs to get and accept the calendars. Confirm that they work on the site.

Now, follow through with the the part of the Google instructions (for the iPad) about syncing multiple calendars. Do this on both iPads.

I'm not 100% sure this will work, but it should.

OP
R

rrachlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys - thanks for the replies...here's where I stand today:

DefBref - I think I have to have my default calendar be my work Exchange calendar, or else my work calendar and my iPad calendar won't work together - correct?

twerppoet - I think I follow most of that - here's where I'm getting hung up:

As of now, the iPad calendar items are now all one color (I'm starting to figure this device out - sorry!). That's okay, b/c that means they are all coming from one place (my work Exchange calendar - Outlook). Things sync up b/t that calendar and the iPad perfectly. Thanks to you guys - I played around w/making appts on the iPad unchecking the default calendar and only having the gmail calendar open...interesting! It made the appt on the iPad in a different color and volia - it appeared in my google calendar!

So - what that tells me is that the iPad can't take the appts I make in the default calendar and then "re-sync" them w/my google calendar...my bad for thinking if I see them on the iPad, it should be able to put what I see somewhere else...

Ok - so now what? I can't believe I'm the only person that uses Outlook at work, and wants to view my Outlook calendar and my wife's calendar on the iPad. She's using the stock calendar on the iPhone, so that's what made me think we could accomplish my goal via the apple product route...

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
I'm now getting confused about what exactly you want to do and what calendars you have and where.

As a tip - when you create a event in the ipad, and have multiple calendars available, there's an option to select which calendar it will go to.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok - so now what? I can't believe I'm the only person that uses Outlook at work, and wants to view my Outlook calendar and my wife's calendar on the iPad. She's using the stock calendar on the iPhone, so that's what made me think we could accomplish my goal via the apple product route...

Like DefBref I'm am now bit confused about what is going on. There is something you can do to help.

In the Calendar app tap the Calendar button, then take a screen shot. If there is any personal info in the shot get the free Skitch app and use it to cross out that info, then post it here. You should be able to do that after your third post.

To take a screen shot briefly press the Home and Power buttons. The picture will show up in the Photos app.

OP
R

rrachlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gentlemen -

I apologize for confusing you - as you probably figured out, I was pretty confused myself!!

But I think I've got it figured out - I was under the mistaken assumption that the iPad actually replicated a copy of all my Outlook calendar entries on it...it doesn't - it just merely shows the calendar. One you guys helped my realize that - I stopped trying to do everything in the apple world and found Google Sync - software that specifically syncs 1 or 2 way from Outlook to my Google calendar. So now I have all my Outlook entries in my Google calendar - and it will continuously sync up - and then I just added that calendar to my wife's iPhone...perfect!

Thanks for not flaming a iPad newbie -- I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Most reactions