What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to forums and iPad. Have questions and need help.

Novakingwai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. New user and 1st time site user. First let me start by saying that I am an Android guy. My main phone and love will be Android.

*hides behind indestructible wall with my trusty 0.45 in case anyone manages to get around it*

Now that that's out the way, I just purchased an iPad Air. Why? Because I want to have it propped up on an exercise bike to entertain myself while I work out. I've had Android tablets up there before. I got rid of them because I never used them, now I never use the bike, so to get back into using the bike I decided to get a tablet. I got a 16GB iPad Air with Sprint service from Craigslist for $280. Can't beat that. And I figure when I'm done it will keep a high resale value.

I want to jailbreak or hack or whatever you call it. I loved rooting and installing ROMs and apps that Google didn't allow on my Note 3, Tab Note, and older Android phones. Where do I start for an iPad? I have iOS 7.1.1. I would also like reommendations on what you can do with a hacked iPad and what kind of apps are available that aren't Apple approved.

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Novakingway and welcome to the forum. Now that you have taken a bite out of that Apple I predict you may well be struggling to keep insisting that you are an Android guy, not that there is anything wrong with that:)
I'll move your thread over to our iPad Hacking section which is going to give you a wealth of information about the possibility, and the enjoyment of jailbreaking your machine.
Again, good to have you here, and enjoy the forum!
Andrew

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
.... [snip for space] .....

I want to jailbreak or hack or whatever you call it. I loved rooting and installing ROMs and apps that Google didn't allow on my Note 3, Tab Note, and older Android phones. Where do I start for an iPad? I have iOS 7.1.1. I would also like reommendations on what you can do with a hacked iPad and what kind of apps are available that aren't Apple approved.

Hi, and welcome to iPad Forums!

That iPad can be jail broken on iOS 7.1.1 using the PanGu Jailbreak Tool. Here's a link to a jail break guide for that tool (written by one of our fellow members): http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/how-to-jailbreak-ios-7-1-x-using-pangu.122355/

It's a pretty straightforward process, but don't hesitate to holler if you need more info.

Once you've jail broken the iPad, you will then have access to Cydia, the jail breakers "App Store." There you will find all the goodies (paid and free) that jail breakers can install on their iPads to make them as they wish.

In addition, here's a link to a thread that talks about the various tweaks and such that can be used on an iPad. Makes for some good reading and may give you some ideas: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/ultimate-list-of-jailbreak-tweaks.25824/

I do need to give you one word of caution. The version of iOS your iPad is on is jail breakable. However, iOS 8 is not. So, you will not be able to upgrade the software once you jail break. Once you jail break, you will end up playing a dodge game with Apple as they release updates and you work to avoid them (until the new update is jail breakable). Again, this is just a caution because there are no do-overs.

Again, welcome and good luck with your new iPad.

Marilyn

OP
N

Novakingwai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Novakingway and welcome to the forum. Now that you have taken a bite out of that Apple I predict you may well be struggling to keep insisting that you are an Android guy, not that there is anything wrong with that:)
I'll move your thread over to our iPad Hacking section which is going to give you a wealth of information about the possibility, and the enjoyment of jailbreaking your machine.
Again, good to have you here, and enjoy the forum!
Andrew
Thanks. I already got this jailbroken and have started installing tweaks. This iPad isn't convincing me to drop Android. I'll keep my phone that I use every day as Android. I like the customization it offers. But iPad is pretty nice with some of the exclusive apps, good battery life, and universal app compatibility.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It takes a while to really pull a definitive perspective on the differences and likes or dislikes. You don't really explore everything at once and it takes time to tweak the device to your liking so that it's at a state where you can compare two devices. However, you always have to keep in mind that you're comparing two completely different OS and devices. There are different priorities and possibilities between iOS and Android.

OP
N

Novakingwai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I uninstall the stock apps? I will never use some of them and I hate looking at them.
In particular, iBooks, FaceTime, Newsstand, iTunes Store (do people still pay Apple for music and shows?), Calendar, Reminders, Contacts, Messages, and Notes. Will removing any of these affect the system?

I am aware of being able to create a folder and hiding these apps in it, but again I want them gone if I don't need them.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How can I uninstall the stock apps? I will never use some of them and I hate looking at them.
In particular, iBooks, FaceTime, Newsstand, iTunes Store (do people still pay Apple for music and shows?), Calendar, Reminders, Contacts, Messages, and Notes. Will removing any of these affect the system?

I am aware of being able to create a folder and hiding these apps in it, but again I want them gone if I don't need them.
I'm afraid that there is no way to delete the stock apps. They're built into the iOS and can't be removed. With a jailbroken iPad they can be hidden but it's not recommended to go into the system files and actually start deleting things. If you do, there's the chance you could render your iPad unusable.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
FaceTime, Podcasts and iTunes Store can be restricted, then you won't see them on the iPad. Go to Settings - General - Restrictions and disable them.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
FaceTime, Podcasts and iTunes Store can be restricted, then you won't see them on the iPad. Go to Settings - General - Restrictions and disable them.
You can also restrict the App Store, Safari, and Camera in the same way. These apps are, however, the only ones that can be hidden in this manner.

Last edited:
OP
N

Novakingwai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok one last question. I see wireless storage solutions for storing movies, pictures, and documents so you can stream them to the ipad. Is there a way you can store apps off the ipad? or the actual app .ipa installer so I can quickly migrate apps back and forth? Some apps are 1GB+ and I don't want to have to redownload them every time I want to play them and I'm out of room.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok one last question. I see wireless storage solutions for storing movies, pictures, and documents so you can stream them to the ipad. Is there a way you can store apps off the ipad? or the actual app .ipa installer so I can quickly migrate apps back and forth? Some apps are 1GB+ and I don't want to have to redownload them every time I want to play them and I'm out of room.
I'm afraid that an app has to be actually installed on your iPad in order for it to be used. There's no way to open and use an app that hasn't been downloaded.

OP
N

Novakingwai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to save the app file, transfer it, then reinstall? In Android you can save an app as a .apk, move it around, and just move it to your device to install it. Can you do that on iOS?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid not. The only ways to install apps on a different device is to download them from your purchased list or sync them from iTunes on your computer. The device, of course, has to be tied to the same Apple ID that was used to originally purchase or download the app.

chezlong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm brand new (joined today) and can only seem to reply to posts, not ask my own. I'm not Novakingwai, I'm chezlong and have a question about formulas on Numbers

Most reactions

Latest posts