What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW!! - Sprint 4G phone: Instant wi-fi hotspot for 8 devices...

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The nation's first 4G phone HTC EVO 4 (out this summer on Sprint) will be able to instantly become a mobile wifi hotspot (at 4G speeds) for upto (8) devices with the push of a button.

This done without buying an additional "mi-fi" device to elevate the speeds of your Wi-Fi only iPad.:D

Now...my 32GB wi-fi iPad will be become a 4G speed weapon at anytime, w/o depending on the At&T only network, originally planned by Apple.

Sprint - HTC EVO? 4G

I'm in.

Edit -- Also, be sure to check out http://www.htcevoforums.com/ if you are interested in the HTC EVO -- (admin)

gregg37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep. This phone is going to be the bomb. Too bad 4G isnt slated for New Orleans yet. But it does it with Sprint's 3G just as well (which works better than any other carrier everywhere I've been). Can't wait to get back to Sprint when this one comes out.

OP
I

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had Sprint for 15 years...was about to leave them this summer because they notoriously have the ugliest phones - (grin). Finally looks like they may retain & get back many unhappy users from days gone by!

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any word on price yet? This is THE most spec'd phone I've ever seen so lord knows it won't come cheap! I can drop $300 on a phone... but I can't drop $750+ on a phone.

HX_Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty nice phone...would be nice if they release it the same time Apple released the new generation iPhone so I could make a decision then. :)

The iPhone is really going to have to set up its game with the next model...there are quite a few new phones out there that really out spec it, it's really starting to feel outdated...though I guess it should since it has been out for a while without any really big upgrades.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea - but Windows Mobile just isn't cutting it. It's difficult to use and not as elegant as the iPhone interface. I haven't used a droid however - so that may be better.

I just gave my Omnia to my son - I couldn't stand that phone. I've moved to a Blackberry Curve without a touch screen - to use as a phone and e-mail device only (I live in the MFN - so Verizon is the only decent cell service.

I also think that the iPad is going to reduce the attractiveness of the iPhone.

HX_Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea - but Windows Mobile just isn't cutting it. It's difficult to use and not as elegant as the iPhone interface. I haven't used a droid however - so that may be better.
The Sprint phone uses the Android system, not Windows Mobile, so I'm not sure why that came up.

I agree with you here. That is why I think Apple will really have to step up their game with the new iPhone. One of the big draws about the iPhone for me is all the non-phone stuff it does and that is exactly where the iPad will fit in...leaving the iPhone to be used more like a normal phone, just for making calls. I could actually see myself getting a not-so-techy phone since I won't need all the little features. Unless of course one really wows me.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I just gave my Omnia to my son - I couldn't stand that phone. I've moved to a Blackberry Curve without a touch screen - to use as a phone and e-mail device only (I live in the MFN - so Verizon is the only decent cell service.

I have a droid and it is great in some areas and horrible in others. Internet speed is really fast, service is as always great. Browser could be a little smoother..but its nice that there are other choices. The Android Market is a MESS! App store blows it away! But the google integration is great...my contacts are from gmail and they store there in case I get a new phone or in case something happens to my current one. GVoice is a wonderful thing to have....the OS is pretty smooth and allows for easy "hacking" like overclocking and wifi tethering and such. The screen res is insane!

iPhone has a LOT better applications and a much better store...itunes blows anything on the droid out of the water...it's been a chore to get all my podcasts since I need 3 apps to get them all. The browser is overall better, but the screen res being so much smaller makes it a little less readable than the droid. Typing on the droid is hit or miss...sometimes it works fine, usually it is annoying. iPhone keyboard is really precise and I look forward to the iPad keyboard!

I agree that the iPad will take some steam away from the iPhone...but it is less of a convergent device...it is basically a micro computer with a large screen.....so the need for a convergent phone device will still remain strong...and I think if app devs are smart and incorporate the use of an iPhone as a game controller it will further solidify the desire to carry both.

HX_Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you figure it's a micro computer with a large screen?

I see it it as an iTouch with a large screen, because really, what is the difference (aside from bigger screen and better processor?)

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I see it it as an iTouch with a large screen, because really, what is the difference (aside from bigger screen and better processor?)

I think the difference is that when I'm on my iPod Touch - I look at headlines, browse e-mail (from who, etc) but really don't spend a lot of time reading. I think that may be different on the iPad. On my iPod I'll play a movie when I'm on an airplane - but really won't spend a lot of time watching it anywhere else. I think I might not have a problem watching a movie on the iPad at home when I'm not in the front room or when I'm moving around the house and want some portability.

It also is going to depend how well the screen works outside.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you've paid any attention you would know it's not a big ipod touch. Different os. Different cpu different screen.

HX_Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly...so it's like your iTouch, but with a larger screen. It allows you to do things you wish you could do on your iTouch but can't because of the screen size limitations.

HX_Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you've paid any attention you would know it's not a big ipod touch. Different os. Different cpu different screen.

I've been paying plently of attention since day 1, trust me, and that is really what I see.

I already mentioned that it has a bigger screen and a better processor but how is the OS different? From what I've seen, its pretty similar. Yes some of the applications are better of course, since they have more screen size to work with, but the OS itself looks pretty much the same.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMHO, the iPad is to the iPod Touch what a Laptop is to a Netbook. A laptop is just a better/bigger netbook. Even though they can be used for the same types of things, many those uses are less than ideal on the netbook. The laptop provides a much better user experience and allows the user to do things that the netbook doesn't have the horse power or screen size to handle. I believe the same is true for the iPad when comparing it to the iPod Touch.

Rumor has it, and I believe it, when iPhone OS 4.0 comes out the iPhone, iPod Touch and the iPad will all use it. Steve said during the keynote that devs could make universal apps that would run on both the iPhone/iPod and the iPad. IOW, the app would contain an iPad interface and an iPhone/iPod interface in the same binary. This seems to support that all the devices will be running the same OS.

Most reactions