What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New PC, new Itunes message

Robinbx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 10-year-old PC finally died and I got another with Itunes 5.3.3 installed.

Previously, was able to hookup my Ipad (4.2.1) with no problem, and I wanted to do that right away and take a backup of the Ipad. This time, however, I get the message:

"This ipad cannot be used because Apple Mobile Device service is not started".

I click "OK" (there's no other option), the message is redisplayed 1 more time and that's it - nothing happens, not a word of explanation about what to do next. Can the Forum help, please?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi robin-your is that your iTunes and iPad software version you are running? For me, the iTunes software is updated to 10.5.1 and my iPad is running with version 5.01. Just curious.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes as Skimonkey has mentioned you have a quite old version of iTunes running as is the operating system on your iPad. Because of this there may be a clash between iTunes and iPad in that they are mismatched. I would think that you would need to upgrade both of these. Hopefully someone else will chime in here that knows more.
Below you will find some information on the Mobile Device Service
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1567

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:
OP
R

Robinbx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, everyone, I should have said iTunes version 10.5.3.3, latest version as of today.

All I want to do right now is backup my iPad - I will consider updating the iPad from 4.2.1 once I have more confidence in how iTunes operates. Right now, I am not confident at all.

I hope you are not telling me that I now have no option but to upgrade immediately.

Leelai, many thanks for the link - too bad iTunes could not be bothered to provid that info.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Robinbx said:
Sorry, everyone, I should have said iTunes version 10.5.3.3, latest version as of today.

All I want to do right now is backup my iPad - I will consider updating the iPad from 4.2.1 once I have more confidence in how iTunes operates. Right now, I am not confident at all.

I hope you are not telling me that I now have no option but to upgrade immediately.

Leelai, many thanks for the link - too bad iTunes could not be bothered to provid that info.

No you don't have to upgrade immediately. The worry I had was that certain iTunes versions sync better with certain iPad versions and you're new computer may have been on a version of iTunes which may not have been compatible with your iPad. I hope that makes sense to you. It's not a straightforward task to just use a new computer so have a look at this link
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/22716-syncing-new-computer.html

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
R

Robinbx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, leelai. Can you possibly explain, in simple words, exactly what syncing is and why I should sync.

Right now, most of the songs I have downloaded are on my iPad, but 4 or 5 others are on the PC in iTunes. Will syncing bring them all together on the iPad, or if not, how do I do that?

Most reactions

Latest posts