What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member from Iowa - love my iPad, not AT&T

Trevorwc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello ipadforums.net

I'm new to the forum, don't know why it took me so long to find you. I bought my iPad on the 3G release date, and I LOVE it! Not a huge fan of the 3G service, as I live in rural Iowa, and let's just say that AT&T isn't the best here. That's what stopping me from getting an iPhone, but I hear Verizon isn't too far off!

Anyway, glad I found this joint, and looking forward to learning from you guys!

Trevor

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome! Believe me, our Swisscom is just as crappy...
What a great job! Make people sign a contract to pay for crappy service delivered intermittently! Wanna sign up with NumbLockCo?

OP
T

Trevorwc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only saving grace is that you don't HAVE to sign up for AT&T on a contract. However, I did pay extra for the 3G+WiFi, rather than just a WiFi model, so it's really annoying that I paid extra for a feature that I have to pay for that rarely works.

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trevorwc, have you actually signed up for the AT&T coverage? I almost bought a 3G version last summer, until the last Apple rep I talked to told me AT&T wouldn't sell me coverage, because even though my sister can now get coverage at my house, also in rural Iowa, the AT&T system says I don't get coverage. I figured I would only use the 3G when I was away from home, and the month by month contract seemed to be perfect for someone who would only need the service when traveling. But in typical Apple/AT&T fashion, they are afraid I am to dumb to understand that coverage at my home might not be good, and they are afraid I might complain, so I can't have the option of 3G service when I am traveling. They won't sell me an iPhone, even if I wanted one, and they won't sell me iPad service. So I spent the extra money on more memory and got the 64Gig.

OP
T

Trevorwc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bogy,

Yes, I actually have signed up and used the 3G service.

I use it exactly as you were planning to. I'll sign up when I'm heading out of town to a place that gets AT&T reliably, and then cancel it when that month expires. Rinse and repeat when I head back out of town.

No clue why they wouldn't let you get 3G, that is a poor business decision IMO.

I live in Pella, fwiw, and I wish I would have spent the money on more memory (for more movies), and then gotten the Verizon MiFi for much more reliable 3G.

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trevorwc, I'm north of you in Ackley. I haven't been in Pella for a few years. Every spring I try to get back for Tulip Time, but its a hectic time of year. I still have some relatives in Pella, but no one close anymore.

Most reactions