What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member - Frank Damp

the damps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to everyone.

I've been around computers since 1966 (yes, really) starting out doing engineering problems in ALGOL on an Elliott 802 computer at Coventry Technical College, in the UK. I moved up to FORTRAN for the same activities when I emigrated to join Boeing an 1968. I worked for a contractor at NASA Langley, in Virginia for 3 years where I was involved with both small analog computers and with a CDC-6600 mainframe which ran all of Langley's simulators. That was FORTRAN also, but I was more in the simulation hardware area there.

Back to Boeing in 1974 to its Flight Crew Training organization as a simulation engineer. That was a bit of a step back, as the sims were all assembly language (Honeywell DDP and Singer-Link GP-4). After a total of 12 years in simulation, progressing to scientific real-time FORTRAN, I shifted to being an customer Engineer, acting as a technical interface between Boeing and the Engineering Departments of assigned airlines. This job was my first introduction to Microsoft, when Boeing decided to have its engineers become their own secretaries for reports and correspondence, using MSWord 3.0. Over a further 12 years, we'd eventually migrated to Win XP and Office 2000.

I've had a desktop for my own consulting business (started when I retired from Boeing in '98) and closed after two years. I currently have a Win XP machine, with thoughts of upgrading to Win 7.

Five years ago, my wife got an ASUS net-book, also running XP and we've sailed along until recently, when our all-Apple grand-kids decided Grandma needed an iPad. Shortly after she started to learn it, she gave her net-book an unintended shower with a glass of Pinot Grigio. Not realising she'd done it, the net-book stayed powered up overnight. It was dead beyond resuscitation the next morning.

Now, learning the iPad becomes a lot more important. Expect lots of questions.

For the record, I'm in my early 70's, fully retired after s short post-Boeing stint as a transit coach operator. Our main hobbies are our two Labrador Retrievers and our 32' Class A motor-home. DW is also an active knitter. We live in the northern reaches of mainland Washington State in the small seaside city of Anacortes. We like it very much. The climate is similar to our home area of the UK, but just a tad warmer and more reliable.

SparkyScott21

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Frank and welcome to our forum!!
FlyingSmiley.gif

Most reactions