What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member considering buying an Ipad, but...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1. I have an Apple bluetooth keyboard I keep around in case I want/need it. Nice to not have to lug it around when I don't.

2. It's not about what it does, but what it does better. For some things the Droid X is better, I had one. For others there is just no getting around the advantages of a bigger screen. And I find I like the apps better, overall. I do miss the notifications. Widgets, only slightly.

3. You can turn auto-fill off. It's in Settings, under General, Keyboard.

4. It's a case by case thing. The only thing that affected me was missing a few videos on CNET, but that is a very small part of my browsing.

5. Only because there are so many apps. There are 80,000 iPad apps. Enough to keep you busy for a while at least.

6. On the computer you can turn on the iPad filter at the top of the screen for general browsing. Search results come back with separate lists for iPad and iPhone results. Recent changes both on the iPad and Computer have made it possible to refine searches somewhat. Still, you might want to check out appshoper.com, think if it as appbrain.com for iOS.

8. This is sleep mode to awake. To actually turn the device off you have to hold the power button down until you get the power off slider. Actual boot from off is 10 seconds, or occasionally a bit more. You'll want to do that now and then. Even iPads need an occasional reboot.

OP
antonio107

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After 2 full days, I'd agree with you that there are things it doesn't do as good as a netbook. Yet my desktop is my main computer. Once I manage to wake on LAN and connect to it from school, I'll basically have the thinnest, coolest VNC client possible. So I'm hoping this works out better than my attempt to replace my old school laptop with a palm pilot. A lot has changed in 10 years...:D.

Also, I can finally watch American tv, since iswifter is based in the united states. Its pretty sweet! Hulu and comedy central and such!

Still waiting on the bluetooth keyboard!

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad 2 may not be a good replacement for your laptop. If you have another computer, then you can go for it. If you want an independent computer, then you need to look elsewhere. The iPad 2, with its many outstanding features, is still far away from being a laptop replacement.

Most reactions