What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New MacBook Air On the Way

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The new M1 (Apple Silicon) Macs will run iOS and iPadOS apps natively, straight from the App Store. No need for conversion. Keep in mind these apps are built for the touch interface, but Macs do not have touch screens. This means they may not be as convenient to use as they are on iPads.

I have not tried any iOS or iPadOS apps on the MacBook Air yet. Most of the apps I want on the Air have native Mac versions that sync with the iOS versions (usually through iCloud). So far those include Fantasical, Reeder, Notability, and Tweetbot. Also, the Microsoft Office suite. My Office 365 subscription includes a license for one laptop/desktop install.

Of course all of Apple's apps (at least all I use) have native Mac versions.

Xcode is strictly for app development. Even if you wanted to convert an iOS app to Mac, you would not have the necessary files to do it unless the developer (for some reason) gave you the source files. Even then, you'd need to do some extra work.

I want Xcode because I'm in one of my "I want to make an app" moods." It will likely pass without me doing more than dipping my toes and deciding the water is too cold, as it has in the past; but hope is eternal.

Thanks TP for the additional information - if I do get an Apple Silicon laptop in the next few months, the main reason would be for a replacement of my 7 y/o MBPro which will not take Big Sur - although I knew that the M1 chip would run iOS/iPadOS apps natively, the 'touch screen' was of course the issue - as an example, I have only a half dozen games on my iPad Pro (couple of Solitaries, Sudoku, etc.) and all involve the touch screen. Dave :)

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most apps will work, just not exactly the way you are used to. Apps that are not guaranteed to work show a warning to say they have not been tested on an M1 Mac. That's most of them so far. I expect the list will grow quickly.

Mouse actions don't have a one-to-one correspondence with touch. All the functionality is there, it just takes slightly different habits to use it.

That said, the only iOS app I've tried so far is Overcast, a podcast app, and I haven't had any problems using it. It's one of the few that did not have the warning on it.

I'll probably test a few others eventually, but as I said earlier, my main apps almost all have native Mac versions, so that will take a while.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Still quite a few quirks with the specialized Amateur Radio software and the Windows emulation I want.

Fldigi is the main app I want, but it looks like it depends on some GUI libraries that no longer work on Big Sur. Developers are working on it.

Looks like I can use the free Windows emulator CrossOver (based on Wine) to run some of the other software, but it only works with the MacOS 11.1 beta so far. So I'm waiting on that update. Winlink Express, my second big Amateur Radio want-ware is tested and works. I'll have to play to see of the SDR software I want will work in emulation.

I keep putting finger prints on the screen. (sigh)

My poor eyes. Had to bump up the font size pretty much everywhere.

I tried Steam. Hate it. Too many hoops to jump through for me. I'm sure a real gamers would persevere. I deleted the account the next day. after spending a couple hours setting up EVE Online. Besides being a pain, it was taking up way too much storage. More than I thought a streaming game service would take. I'll stick to the iPad for my occasional gaming.

Took a nostalgic trip back to SecondLife. Kind of surprised it's still there and that there are still quite a few active users.

On the brighter side, this thing is fast, and Sidecar is really nice. It lets me us the iPad as a second screen. No cable, and no lag that I've noticed. Well, I haven't tried games or videos on the second screen.

Movies are slightly better. The screen isn't larger, overall, but the aspect ratio means less wasted space.

Editing the club website on GoDaddy is nicer on the Mac. Safari, overall is more compatible, but I miss a few little things, like being able to tap on the top of the screen to zip back to the top of the page. And the disappearing header for more reading room. On balance, it's a wash. iPad better for consuming/reading. MacBook better for editing and grabbing content. Since I do the first more than the second, iPad is near.

Haven't even tried reading comics or books on the MacBook. I'm not silly. Have used it once for keeping a reference book open on the Sidecar screen.

My main excuse. . . um reason for buying the MacBook is coming along. I did a few lessons from one of Apple's Xcode tutorials, and am now working my way through the most recent Code With Chris Swift UI videos on Youtube. Baby steps. Baby steps.

That about it for now. I may or may not inflict further incites (not sp?) on you.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 22.14.27.png

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Still quite a few quirks with the specialized Amateur Radio software and the Windows emulation I want.

Fldigi is the main app I want, but it looks like it depends on some GUI libraries that no longer work on Big Sur. Developers are working on it.

Looks like I can use the free Windows emulator CrossOver (based on Wine) to run some of the other software, but it only works with the MacOS 11.1 beta so far. So I'm waiting on that update. Winlink Express, my second big Amateur Radio want-ware is tested and works. I'll have to play to see of the SDR software I want will work in emulation.

I keep putting finger prints on the screen. (sigh)

My poor eyes. Had to bump up the font size pretty much everywhere.

I tried Steam. Hate it. Too many hoops to jump through for me. I'm sure a real gamers would persevere. I deleted the account the next day. after spending a couple hours setting up EVE Online. Besides being a pain, it was taking up way too much storage. More than I thought a streaming game service would take. I'll stick to the iPad for my occasional gaming.

Took a nostalgic trip back to SecondLife. Kind of surprised it's still there and that there are still quite a few active users.

On the brighter side, this thing is fast, and Sidecar is really nice. It lets me us the iPad as a second screen. No cable, and no lag that I've noticed. Well, I haven't tried games or videos on the second screen.

Movies are slightly better. The screen isn't larger, overall, but the aspect ratio means less wasted space.

Editing the club website on GoDaddy is nicer on the Mac. Safari, overall is more compatible, but I miss a few little things, like being able to tap on the top of the screen to zip back to the top of the page. And the disappearing header for more reading room. On balance, it's a wash. iPad better for consuming/reading. MacBook better for editing and grabbing content. Since I do the first more than the second, iPad is near.

Haven't even tried reading comics or books on the MacBook. I'm not silly. Have used it once for keeping a reference book open on the Sidecar screen.

My main excuse. . . um reason for buying the MacBook is coming along. I did a few lessons from one of Apple's Xcode tutorials, and am now working my way through the most recent Code With Chris Swift UI videos on Youtube. Baby steps. Baby steps.

That about it for now. I may or may not inflict further incites (not sp?) on you.

View attachment 90605

Very interesting reviews, Twerppoet! Look forward to hearing more.

Most reactions

Latest posts