What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPod 4G, setup suggestions

Ipadlvr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been enjoying my iPad running 3.2.2 so much I decided to share the joy and picked up 2 iPods as xmas gifts for family members.

I've had the iPad since Canadian launch day and used it primarily for work, in a pristine state plus work related apps only, until late November when I had some time to researh other possibilities and work up the courage to act. Since then, the utility of my unit has expanded in amazing ways.

I'm looking for ideas on how best to setup the new units to manage content. I'm thinking I'd prefer a single itunes setup/account from which I am hoping to select what sync's to which device based on individual choice.

Is this possible and what other considerations/recommendations should I keep in mind to maximize ease, enjoyment and functionality?

With thanks!

lrg32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally have multiple ipods to go with my ipad & iPod touch 4g. I set them all up under my same itunes acct and from the same computer.

For music and Videos, I set up playlists of what I want on each ipod/ipad and label them accordingly. This is so when I sync each device, I am only syncing off those playlists and not my entire library.

Apps are not as easily managed as music and videos this way, I go thru all the ones I have in my library when I initially setup my ipod/ipad and just choose which ones I want synced.

I have tons of apps on my library that ive purchased over the years so it may be a little more difficult for me to go thru them all plus I only have a 16gb ipad so space is definitely limited for me, but if your app library isnt too big or if you have a 64gb ipad/ipod, then it really shouldnt be much of an issue.

OP
I

Ipadlvr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally have multiple ipods to go with my ipad & iPod touch 4g. I set them all up under my same itunes acct and from the same computer.

For music and Videos, I set up playlists of what I want on each ipod/ipad and label them accordingly. This is so when I sync each device, I am only syncing off those playlists and not my entire library.

Apps are not as easily managed as music and videos this way, I go thru all the ones I have in my library when I initially setup my ipod/ipad and just choose which ones I want synced.

I have tons of apps on my library that ive purchased over the years so it may be a little more difficult for me to go thru them all plus I only have a 16gb ipad so space is definitely limited for me, but if your app library isnt too big or if you have a 64gb ipad/ipod, then it really shouldnt be much of an issue.

Thnaks. You're right, just finished JB on both iPT4g's today and it isn't so bad just selecting the appropriate apps for each device. The iPad is 64 while the iPT's are 32. It may get dicey into the future, but for now it fine. Thanks again!

Most reactions