What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad wifi problems

URSOLUSOB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having continual wifi problems. I will be connected and running fine, then connection will drop. It will show the connection in the wifi menu, but keeps saying it can't connect. After many minutes (as much as 10-15), it will finally make the connection, and may hold it for a minute to a half-hour before repeating the dropped connection. The signal strength meter will usually be 2-3 bars during this period, but when I am connected, it will be at a solid 3.

I have two laptops, a PS3 and two cell phones all running on the wifi and in the same room as the iPad, all of which experience no connectivity issues. Not sure if anyone has any suggestions, but thought I'd post this to see what others are seeing.

btw - new iPad is VZW 32GB, but I do not have cell active at this point, and is disabled in menu.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

If not already done, I would first suggest that you 'power recycle' your modem & router (or a combo device) - simply turn off the power (or pull the power adapter plugs); wait a little, then plug in the modem first, wait a while, plug in the router - try again.

If not helpful, please post back to this thread for further advice - good luck!

gypsylady1963

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this isnt my thread, but since its a similar problem...that has been going on since i bought my ipad 2 last october.

it connects to the internet...and will work just fine for a few weeks...

i have the router setting up the ip to 192.168.1.20 for the ipad 2. when it connects, this is the address shown on the dhcp screen. when it doesn't connect, the dhcp screen shows some odd ip address. then i have to reset the router...like above, it has the bars that say its connected, but isnt...and now its almost everyday...any suggestions or ideas?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AFter you reset your modem and router and you still have problems.

..see if you can find another wifi to connect to. It could be the router or the iPad.

Also, be sure to update your router's firmware if you have not.

What router do you have and has its firmware been updated?

Last edited:
OP
U

URSOLUSOB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the D-link DIR-655 Xtreme N. I haven't reset the router yet, as I haven't had any issues with the other 5 wifi devices at the same time. I'll try that tonight. I'll check the firmware for updates as it's beenn a bit, but last I checked there wasn't an updated one. If this doesn't help, I'll head out to Starbucks or Barnes & Noble to test with a different wifi.

This is my first Apple product since an iPod 4th gen, so I wasn't sure if there's something else I should be doing or checking as it's the only device having the problem.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

OP
U

URSOLUSOB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I did a manual check and did find newer firmware (auto-check said firmware was current). Unfortunately, this does not help. The iPad still runs fine and then drops the connection, followed by an "unable to join network" message, regardless of signal strength of network in the list. Turning off the wifi on the iPad and restarting it will sometimes get it to re-connect, but in other times, I've got to wait it out, as much as 10 minutes or more. Very frustrating.

If I don't find a solution soon, I'll take it in to an Apple store (can I do that even though I bought it at Verizon store?) for help and/or replacment. I'd rather deal with it for now than return it and go withouut until stock is replenished.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I did a manual check and did find newer firmware (auto-check said firmware was current). Unfortunately, this does not help. The iPad still runs fine and then drops the connection, followed by an "unable to join network" message, regardless of signal strength of network in the list. Turning off the wifi on the iPad and restarting it will sometimes get it to re-connect, but in other times, I've got to wait it out, as much as 10 minutes or more. Very frustrating.

If I don't find a solution soon, I'll take it in to an Apple store (can I do that even though I bought it at Verizon store?) for help and/or replacment. I'd rather deal with it for now than return it and go withouut until stock is replenished.

The best place to take it is to an Apple store and let a genius look at it. If they can reproduce the problem...and can't fix it, they will likely replace it has defective. You need to make sure you've done a back up first. Also, go on the web and make an appointment at the Apple Store you plan to go to. Don't just show up because you could end up waiting longer than you might like.

Most reactions

Latest posts