What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad runs iPhone apps with Retina graphics

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
ipad-comparison-versions.jpg

Do you remember back in 2010 when the first iPad was first introduced? Back then, there weren’t a whole lot of apps specifically designed for the iPad so the users had to make do with the unsatisfying iPhone apps. Why do I say unsatisfying? Because the emulation offered by Apple didn’t gratify users at all. You had the option of running the app like it was still on the iPhone in a little corner using a little bit of the entire iPad screen. Or, the apps could have been extended into 2x mode. The technique was called “pixel doubling†but the result wasn’t pretty. Images and text would look annoyingly pixilated at all times.

That’s why jailbreak mods like the RetinaPad have become increasingly popular. Interestingly, it looks like the third generation iPad owners won’t actually need this utility anymore because the new tablet already uses Retina graphics when running iPhone applications. It has thus joined the ranks of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S who work with a 960x640 display. The graphics are displayed both in 1x and 2x mode and the experience is highly augmented. Proof of the above statement comes via the TouchArcade forums:

“I just tested this with NBA Jam, which the iPhone version looked like crap on my iPad 1, but looked great through retinapad when I had it jailbroken since it was tricked into loading the iphone 4′s retina enable graphic assets. Now, on my brand spankin’ new ipad third gen, it looks fantastic, without retinapad, just by enabling the 2X option at the bottom right of the screen.â€

Other tests have been performed on Instagram and Real Racing 2 iPhone apps on the iPad and it was found that they work wonderfully as well.

By Radu

Source: New iPad Uses Retina Graphics When Running iPhone Apps - Mac Rumors

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tested this last night on my Wife's iPad (3rd Gen) against my, used to be her's, iPad 2. The difference is simply staggering. She actually felt bad for me and offered to get me my own iPad (3rd Gen).

Most reactions

Latest posts