What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iOS 7 Features Include Control Center, and Notification Center in Lock Screen

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
12623-ios-7.JPG

Aside from the radical new design look for iOS 7, Apple has today revealed many new features that are ushered in by the new OS. We're going to attempt to tell you about some of them here! First up we have Control Center, whereby all the controls that you want to access are bundled together in one easy-to-locate place that can be accessed with just one swipe from the bottom of your screen. Doing so will bring up controls for Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or Do Not Disturb, as well as other features such as the screen brightness control, or AirPlay streaming, not to mention instant access to your Clock, Camera, and Calculator.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Next up, a very popular move, with Notification Center now available directly from the Lock screen, so all you have to do is swipe to see all your notifications. A new feature called Today has been added to Notification Center, giving you an at-a-glance view of your day, and a summary of the most important details, such as weather, traffic, meetings and events. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]iOS 7 also brings with it improvements to multitasking via a new API for developers, so that any app can now be programmed to multitask in the background. Users will be able to switch between their apps in a more visual and intuitive way. iOS 7 will also keep an eye on the apps that you use the most and automatically keep your content updated in the background. Nice touch! [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]AirDrop is another new feature, a new way to quickly and easily share content with contacts that are nearby. Transfers are fully encrypted to ensure your content is private and protected. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Possibly one of the most exciting of the new features is the new Camera app, complete with Instagram-style filters with which you can add real-time photo effects, as well as a square camera option to add to the video, photo, and panorama options, complete with the ability to switch between all four options with just a swipe. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Other new features in an already long list are a redesigned Photos app with new Moments feature, which enables you to automatically organize your photos and videos based on time and location, and a redesigned Safari user interface.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Siri also gets a look in, with new male and female voices, and Twitter search integration, so you can now ask Siri to search Twitter mentions, and Siri also now has Wikipedia integration. [/FONT]

“iOS 7 is the most significant iOS update since the original iPhone,†said Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering. “To create it, we brought together a team with a broad range of expertise from design to engineering. With what we’ve been able to achieve together, we see iOS 7 as an exciting new beginning.â€
[FONT=&amp]Apple says that iOS 7 will be available this fall for iPhone 4 and later, iPad 2 and later, iPad mini and iPod touch (fifth gen).[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] Apple

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here in UK i tried to update my ios devices and macbook pro but the updates are not available yet

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok...what I read/saw of previous renderings...I didn't care for. However, what you've posted Maura...I like! :)

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok...what I read/saw of previous renderings...I didn't care for. However, what you've posted Maura...I like! :)
Yeah, most of the previous renderings I've seen we're based on rumor. The word "flat", at least for me, means no shadows, gradients, etc. But, clearly the icons in the WWDC keynote contain gradients.

rtt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I watched the live stream of the Keynote and I had a smile/giggle to myself. I have reading a few posts recently on iOS 7 on a few forums and you would think that some people are discussing something that involves life and death. There was some discussions yesterday of what somebody said was leak of the design and people were saying if had to TV a fake as 'Apple would never release anything like that', 'Apple wouldn't design that', 'it would be the end of Apple if that was the design' etc etc.

Guess what, the leak was spot on, it was. Now I am reading things like 'it is embarrassing', 'it is the worst thing ever', 'why are making a phone like Android'.

Designs, like a lot of things, come and go and then come back. I was look yesterday a some new glass frames and I saw some that I was wearing thirty years or so ago. People were asking for a UI refresh and the got it, it may not be to everybody's taste but the neither does the present one.

The main thing is the functionality, well it to me, and it seems tome on what I saw this has improved somewhat, OK it maybe what is on Android, but it what many wanted.

On the design, we I am of advancing years and I quite like it. The pastel colours after a while are much more soothing than sharp in you face colours. Like they say 'A change is as good as a rest'

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got pretty pleased with this upgrade even though I won't get AirDrop on my iPad 3. Still there are a couple of things Apple has to get to:

- Open up the APIs so developers can integrate their apps deeper (like sharing content for instance).
- A file repository like the pictures/music one.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got pretty pleased with this upgrade even though I won't get AirDrop on my iPad 3. Still there are a couple of things Apple has to get to:

- Open up the APIs so developers can integrate their apps deeper (like sharing content for instance).
- A file repository like the pictures/music one.

Those are two things you'll almost certainly never see Apple introduce, they would eliminate the app sandbox, which does such a good job of keeping viruses out.

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those are two things you'll almost certainly never see Apple introduce, they would eliminate the app sandbox, which does such a good job of keeping viruses out.

If I'm not mistaken, Tim Cook said during one of his latest interviews that they were willing to open the APIs to allow deeper integration for third party apps and we already have a photo/music repository thus I don't see the problem in widening the concept to regular files.

crw1948

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish they would add a pen stylus. This would be great for notes, photo apps, and art apps. Current stylus difficult to do lasso on very small objects, eyes, etc. Please, please develop a pen to work with the iPad. The smaller the head or replaceable head sizes would be a great purchase. Got credit card ready for purchase - just do it Apple.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Tim Cook said during one of his latest interviews that they were willing to open the APIs to allow deeper integration for third party apps and we already have a photo/music repository thus I don't see the problem in widening the concept to regular files.

I agree but apple does things a certain way and raw file manipulation and management usually isn't in the plans. We shall see though.

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree but apple does things a certain way and raw file manipulation and management usually isn't in the plans. We shall see though.

I think a file repository wouldn't disturb apple's policies regarding file manipulation because a repository is just an index. Manipulation would still have to be done within the proper app but having this aforesaid file repository would allow you attach documents to your mail within the mail app or upload files to remote servers through safari. It would save time, money and frustations to the users.

Most reactions

Latest posts